Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • quilt lables/signing quilts >
  • quilt lables/signing quilts

• quilt lables/signing quilts

Old 02-04-2013, 04:41 PM

I received a doll quilt in a swap that had a tiny pieced block that matched the quilt. The center was large enough for the maker to write her name, my name and the date. If I don't make a block I just write on a piece of matching fabric, then sew it on with the buttonhole stitch.
    Old 02-04-2013, 04:41 PM

How do you print on the binding, it is so small? I do like the idea and would love directions for printing on the binding. I embroidery my label on the bottom left corner on the back before I quilt it. One thing you guys add that I have not is the quilt name. I like the idea and will start doing that.
    Old 02-05-2013, 09:26 AM

I design a label using card making software then print it out on fabric. The label states who I am giving the quilt to, the name of the quilt, my name, LA quilter name(if I used one), the date completed and my town and state. I sew this to a square of fabric, then applique the whole label to the bottom of the back, left side. After I am finished, I take a photograph of the front and the label and add to a photo album I have for all the quilts, etc I have made!!
    Old 02-05-2013, 09:32 AM

I used a regular sharpie permanent marker on one of my early quilt labels and it bled out as a wrote, making the wording look "fuzzy". Also over time and with washings it faded a lot. I have had much better results with Pigma pens.

I have also done hand embroidered labels. My current favorite though is stamped labels. I use VersaCraft ink (which is permanent and archival). It is the only ink that I know of which can be used on fabric, but there might be others.
    Old 02-05-2013, 10:02 AM

I ordered preprinted (embroidered labels) That say "Handmade by Shannon" and I use a permanant marker to date it.
    Old 02-05-2013, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
    Please don't use permament markers on quilts. They are not that permanent and will bleed.

Invest in a pigma pen to sign quilts. It is well worth it.

I have done both signing the quilt and adding a lable and even sew a special block right into the quilt baking so it can't be removed.

my Bernina has a feature that does printing in two sizes and I will use this on the binding. It is not every noticable and all the information is right there. I have machine printed poems that go all the way around a quilt.[ATTACH=CONFIG]393144[/ATTACH]
    I think this way would be great for someone in a home; like the elderly. I have heard of many stories where someone will steal the quilt and take the lable off and a family member has seen someone else with it but management wouldn't do anything without proof. This is why some who have quilts given to those in this situation, rather the elderly, military a dorm, etc will actually quilt on top of the lable making it part of the quilting proces so it's harder to remove the lable. I like this idea. I did this a few yrs ago when I made my grandson a rag quilt for naptime at school. I put his name on it, his school's name and the year. I know my son and my daughter, they'll never get rid of that blanket. he was so proud to take it to school.