• Main
  • Quilt not Laying Flat >
  • Quilt not Laying Flat

• Quilt not Laying Flat

Old 05-23-2011, 06:31 PM
    MTS
    Banned

Originally Posted by tellabella
    I am going to put this whole thing on my big table and pin it to my cutting board...I am not sure if it is going to fit...so I may have to do it halves???
    Absolutely. I would focus on a corner at a time. And great that you have a big table to work on.

Some other thoughts.

Don't cut the fabric for the next border yet.
    After you get the corners squared, measure again. And again. ;-)
    Sew your star blocks together for the borders. Measure. Twice.

Then the inner border fabric should be cut to whatever width you need to make it all work. If it's a bit thinner or wider than what the pattern says, it won't even be noticeable. But the final border will go on very easily.

Can't wait to see it. ;-)
    Old 05-23-2011, 06:55 PM

Yes, thanks,,,Sue Garman calls these "floaters"...and these are cut and adjustments are made after the next border is done and pieced...that is how this has gone together...she gives you a little chart to fill in the size of the quilt "so far", then the size of the next "real border"..in this case the sawtooth stars, and then you do a little math and calculate what your floater should be...it is a great method and keeps you on track...and on size..except in my case...lol..

I have just pinned half of it onto my board...while listening to the bachelorett on tv...
    Old 05-24-2011, 10:10 PM

You have done an amazing job! Stay strong, it will work out, sounds like you have a plan. I'm just in love with it :)
    Old 05-25-2011, 05:14 PM

Ladies,
    I have to thank you so much...so far, my quilt is looking 100% better...

As I mentioned to MTS, my quilt has been in rehab for a few days and I hope she doesn't relapse now...

I blocked, pinned and starched it ..top half, bottom half because I coudn't quilte get it all on the table..then I found the middle had to be shrunk a little so I reviewed Sharon's video on shrinking and it has helped a lot...I took a couple of pics..don't know if you can see the improvement...

I don't regret doing this as I learned so much, especially borders...and floaters...

By the way I think I have decided to name my quilt "Stella"..as you know Stella means "Star" in Italian...this quilt is full of stars..and my name is Stella without the S...
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-202432.jpe   attachment-202433.jpe   attachment-202434.jpe  
    Old 05-25-2011, 05:21 PM
    MTS
    Banned

I'm having great pangs of envy over the sight (and size) of your table.

Is that wrong?

The quilt looks beautiful, and I'm glad she emerged from rehab in much better condition than before.

I can't wait to see it finished.

I meant to ask this earlier but forgot. Those weren't the kit fabrics, were they? Did you put the fabrics together yourself?
    Awesome selection.
    Old 05-25-2011, 05:40 PM

bias edges have a tendency to get wonky
    be careful :thumbup:
    Old 05-25-2011, 05:40 PM

bias edges have a tendency to get wonky
    be careful :thumbup:
    Old 05-25-2011, 05:56 PM

My table is 60 x 90 inches long..let me tell you that for years I used my boys' ping pong table that measures 60 x 120...the sizw was amazing and I got so used to sewing on a big table I couldn't not have one (I sew drapery panels and Romans so I can't do it without a big surface)...the ping pong table was only 30 inches high...I was getting sore back so decided it was time to go..didn't want to spend lots$$$ for sewing furniture so I got creative...I bought these 2 dining sideboards at a liquidation place for $100 each...liked them but the table surface was not big enough...I have a dear friend and neighbough who had 2 conference tables she got free from her old job...got rid of the heavy legs...and she couldn't bear to throw away the tops..kept one in her basement and gave me the other one...it weighs a TON...60 inches by 90 inches...my sons, who had to go get it and carry up a circular staircase cursed me I am sure a million times...my youngest son, who is a real gem...lol...told me he didn't appreciate having to go pick up our neighbour's "garbage" to bring it over here...can you believe that ..what was he thinking...I just plunked in on top of the 2 servers and it doesn't budge..it isn't fastened down so I just slide it, depending on where I need room...I was even thinking of getting it cut and hinged, so I could drop one side...because it really kills the space in my room, but worth it I guess...I have started to grid it with a sharpie, right on the table, and I love the markings, tooo...
    I never buy kits...just yards and yards and bolts and bolts...I have been quilting only a couple of years, and have made less than 10 tops probably..I am discovering that I don't like to follow patterns...
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-202441.jpe  
    Old 05-25-2011, 06:16 PM
    MTS
    Banned

Brilliant! It's great how the different components all came together, including the free labor.

(And I've made a note of the "Roman Shades professional" for possible future guidance. ;-) )
    Old 05-25-2011, 06:50 PM

Tella,
    Your quilt is beautiful. The color choices are spectacular. MTS great advise. Looks like it absolutely did the trick. Can't wait to see Stella finished.
    Hugs,
    Gayle