Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt not laying flat and tear or cut borders? >
  • Quilt not laying flat and tear or cut borders?

• Quilt not laying flat and tear or cut borders?

Old 06-26-2011, 09:14 AM

Ok, my very first quilt is not laying as flat as I want it. So, I know I have made a few mistakes but, should I re-press the seams? Press them open? Granted, there are some mistakes BUT..i'm moving on, live and learn!

Second question. I'm going to put a 2 inch border and a 6 inch border. I have been advised to measure out from a selvage edge, and then put a small cut, then rip/tear length wise. Um...ok, Im a little scared, ok I lied, i'm a lot scared! Are these two things right?

:oops:
    Old 06-26-2011, 09:21 AM
    Power Poster

Pressing the quilt top at the end is always a good idea. If you try and press the seams open now, the intersections may be even bumpier :wink:

Ripping the fabric is easier than cutting long pieces... I make the cut 1/2" wider so that I can trim both edges, they will be a little frayed from ripping them.
    If you are not cutting the borders from long yardage, you may consider just cutting it too. It is really a personal preference :D:D:D
    Old 06-26-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by amma
    Pressing the quilt top at the end is always a good idea. If you try and press the seams open now, the intersections may be even bumpier :wink:

Ripping the fabric is easier than cutting long pieces... I make the cut 1/2" wider so that I can trim both edges, they will be a little frayed from ripping them.
    If you are not cutting the borders from long yardage, you may consider just cutting it too. It is really a personal preference :D:D:D
    Thanks Amma! I will re-press the seams in the direction they currently are. I think that will help a bit.

Re-ripping, I will ponder it while i'm pressing....lollllll. It will be done today!!!

Thanks again!!!!
    Old 06-26-2011, 10:07 AM
    Power Poster

It may help to spray starch as you re-press.

And yes, it comes down to personal preference whether you rip or cut borders.
    Old 06-26-2011, 10:17 AM

If you're going to rip lengthwise strips for borders you'd better rip them a good inch wider than you need so you can trim off the frayed edges.
    Old 06-26-2011, 10:30 AM

I think measuring the border has as much to do with it laying flat as whether you tear or cut. Here is my favorite way to cut borders.

Fold your quilt in half lengthwise and lay it on a flat surface. Lay your two side borders along the folded edge. Slip your mat under one end and trim the end at the quilt top edge ..being careful not to trim the top too! Repeat at the other end. You now have two borders the same size. I always pin mine at each end..in the middle..and then in the middle of the halves, adjusting as I go. Sew your seam and then repeat this process for the top and bottom borders.

I love this method as there is no math!
    Old 06-26-2011, 10:40 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99
    It may help to spray starch as you re-press.

And yes, it comes down to personal preference whether you rip or cut borders.
    Ditto. BrendaK
    Old 06-26-2011, 11:24 AM

What soccertxi said is an excellent tip. It always works for me with long borders.
    Old 06-27-2011, 04:39 AM

You can always pound those bumpy seams with a hammer while pressing (with starch) as well. Have heard this helps but haven't tried it myself. And yes, if you're going to rip, cut your strip a bit wider than you need so you can trim up the fuzzies. I would highly recommend starching the daylights out of your fabric before ripping if they are long pieces. Helps with wavy edges.