Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt Pattern measurements: Need your help or input >
  • Quilt Pattern measurements: Need your help or input

• Quilt Pattern measurements: Need your help or input

Old 05-25-2010, 05:41 PM

Without going into a long story.....I am going blind and some of the patterns are 2 7/8....I can't read (see) that on "Easy Squares"...is there one out there that I can purchase that 2 7/8 or any other size (cut) that has 7/8 more clearly marked for me to see? (Did I explain this clearly)? I am going to make a trip to the fabric shop tomorrow and they know my eye condition and have been very helpful. However, if they don't have what I "need" give me your advice of how "maybe" I can change the size of pattern so I would not have a 7/8 cut or help in finding one what I can use.
    Old 05-25-2010, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by dungeonquilts
    Without going into a long story.....I am going blind and some of the patterns are 2 7/8....I can't read (see) that on "Easy Squares"...is there one out there that I can purchase that 2 7/8 or any other size (cut) that has 7/8 more clearly marked for me to see? (Did I explain this clearly)? I am going to make a trip to the fabric shop tomorrow and they know my eye condition and have been very helpful. However, if they don't have what I "need" give me your advice of how "maybe" I can change the size of pattern so I would not have a 7/8 cut or help in finding one what I can use.
    The fact that your dimension includes 7/8 would suggest that you are cutting for half-square triangles. If so, this might help. I always just round it to the even inch (if the pattern calls for 2-7/8, I cut 3 ".) Then I make the half square triangles. Then I square them up to the desired size. Not only does this make the strip cutting a whole lot easier, but it gives you a little fudge room and you can end up with perfect squares.
    Old 05-25-2010, 05:54 PM
    Power Poster

Maybe a glass shop could cut you templates for various 1/2 and 1/4 square triangles out of plexiglass the same thickness as rotary rulers. The shop in my town will make these for me cheaper than most rulers. You wouldn't need any markings on these.
    Old 05-25-2010, 05:57 PM

Thanks for posting this and I did do this on one of my patterns and I was 1/4 off when it came to piecing the blocks together....oh hold it now that I write, I now understand what I did wrong. You correct me: the pattern said cut one 6 7/8 (so I increased to 7" it had to be cut diagonally ( I should be ok there, right?) The next piece said 3 7/8 so I increased to 4" it also had to be cut diagonally. However, I think I see "WHY" it was off 1/4 when I trued it up...one of the pieces was to be cut 2 5/8 and I increased it "also" to 3".....I think that was my no, no....so tell me how could I have got away from the 2 5/8 (which also would be hard for me to read)?

Originally Posted by Dagny
    The fact that your dimension includes 7/8 would suggest that you are cutting for half-square triangles. If so, this might help. I always just round it to the even inch (if the pattern calls for 2-7/8, I cut 3 ".) Then I make the half square triangles. Then I square them up to the desired size. Not only does this make the strip cutting a whole lot easier, but it gives you a little fudge room and you can end up with perfect squares.
    Old 05-25-2010, 05:59 PM

This has been mention by the lady that helps me with my quilting! Yes, that just may be the way I will have to go. Thanks for that reminder again to check that out when I am in town tomorrow.

Originally Posted by amma
    Maybe a glass shop could cut you templates for various 1/2 and 1/4 square triangles out of plexiglass the same thickness as rotary rulers. The shop in my town will make these for me cheaper than most rulers. You wouldn't need any markings on these.
    Old 05-25-2010, 07:14 PM
    Banned

I recently bought a couple rulers that have the lines marked in black each 1/8". They are Omnigrid rulers. I sure like them.
    Old 05-25-2010, 07:22 PM

Will check at the fabric store....thanks

Originally Posted by Holice
    I recently bought a couple rulers that have the lines marked in black each 1/8". They are Omnigrid rulers. I sure like them.
    Old 05-26-2010, 12:47 AM

Thanks for posting this and I did do this on one of my patterns and I was 1/4 off when it came to piecing the blocks together....oh hold it now that I write, I now understand what I did wrong. You correct me: the pattern said cut one 6 7/8 (so I increased to 7" it had to be cut diagonally ( I should be ok there, right?) The next piece said 3 7/8 so I increased to 4" it also had to be cut diagonally. However, I think I see "WHY" it was off 1/4 when I trued it up...one of the pieces was to be cut 2 5/8 and I increased it "also" to 3".....I think that was my no, no....so tell me how could I have got away from the 2 5/8 (which also would be hard for me to read)?

Originally Posted by Dagny
    Correct. Once your half-square triangle units are made, there's no need to add anything additional. Just square them up to the exact size you need. Most cutting mats have a 45 degree diagonal line, so you can place the diagonal of the block on this line and trim to an exact square. :idea:
    Old 05-26-2010, 01:02 AM

Another thing that might help if you have many cuts of the same size is to find the measurement on the ruler and line up a post it note or tape a piece of paper on the line. Then you don't have to keep looking for that measurement again. Good luck!
    Old 05-26-2010, 04:08 AM

There are a few rulers available that have the 7/8" mark on them. Don't know the brands but a friend bought one last weekend. It might have been a Creative Grids ruler. Ask at your favorite Local Quilt Store.