Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • quilt patterns that have universal appeal >
  • quilt patterns that have universal appeal

• quilt patterns that have universal appeal

Old 12-01-2013, 10:37 AM
    Power Poster

I have found that to elevate a simple quilt block to a more elegant look--put the block on point and a whole new perspective is exhibited. But in answer to your question a two color quilt with great contrast--red and cream; blue and white; etc have popular appeal.
    Old 12-01-2013, 07:07 PM

I love classic patterns like log cabin but my absolute favorite is Storm at Sea, maybe because I'm from New England. You can take a classic pattern & make it modern by your choice of fabrics, too. Some of the "old" style Amish patterns look very modern now. all depends on your taste
    Old 12-02-2013, 03:44 AM

I don't see many quilts I don't admire, there are quite a few I don't prefer because I am more traditional, I don't care for what I call modern quilts. I 'm not fond of batiks so unless they are used as accents batik quilts don't interest me. I love stars, pinwheels, love scrappies, samplers, I guess I am a repeat from another era.
    Old 12-02-2013, 04:25 AM

I have always thought the Churn Dash pattern was universally appealing.
    Old 12-02-2013, 08:09 AM

I made my son a beautiful (and I do mean beautiful, he loves it) brown tones scrappy quilt. It really was a big hit at his birthday party, but in all fairness, only our family was there for the celebration--we all love quilts, and brown was our father's favorite color. Brought back many pleasant memories, plus all the young people there loved it and want one just like it for their beds.
    Old 12-02-2013, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mdegenhart
    I think everyone has different tastes. Example, while they may be more practical in terms of decor, I cannot understand why anyone would make a brown quilt...
    I had to smile at this - my Mom made me a brown quilt years ago. At that time, our dogs slept on the bed with us and I wanted a brown quilt to help 'disguise' the pet hair. I need to see if I can find that quilt and take a pic of it. It was an excellent utility quilt, everything from beige to chocolate - mostly 3 to 3-1/2 square and HST's pieced with specific colors defined to outline the great state of Texas.
    Old 12-02-2013, 02:05 PM

I love to make traditional quilts with non- traditional fabrics. I am drawn to what I call clear colors and jewel tones for my quilts, but I have fallen in love with many more traditional quilts on the board. I like to work with 'happy' colors, since I tend to have a depression issue. Muted colors in my hands are not stimulating to me, but when others use them, I love the quilts made from them. I like to think people wake up smiling under my quilts, so I use cheerful colors.
    Old 12-02-2013, 02:06 PM

I do not like traditional quilts with what I think of as traditional colors. However, take that traditional block and pair it with contemporary colors and fabrics and it just changes everything.
    Old 12-02-2013, 06:41 PM

Some of the most beautiful quilts I have ever seen were the simple, old, well known patterns; Irish Chain, Chinese Coins, Log Cabin, Churn Dash and more. There is just something eye-appealing to me about these old standard patterns and their simplicity. Mariah
    Old 12-02-2013, 06:44 PM
    yel

kaelynangelfoot .....love the avatar quilt