Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • The quilt police come calling- 80 years on! >
  • The quilt police come calling- 80 years on!

• The quilt police come calling- 80 years on!

Old 10-28-2013, 04:17 PM

What a treasure for you to have!! We can feel such a sense of our grandparents presence when we have a quilt like what you have. I have the log cabin quilt that my grandfather helped piece when he was a little boy. I did have it appraised just to see if the family story and age could be true. The quilt appraises for about $300.00 but to me it is priceless!!
    Old 10-28-2013, 04:31 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan
    Fascinating! I sometimes wonder which of my quilts will be examined years from now. In your Grandmother's case, it may not be her best but a utility quilt. I dread that my polyester double knit will be my sole surviving quilt. I am tempted to burn it before I die.
    I had to chuckle bc I have a garbage bag full of double knit hexxies my mother cut years ago and they still look like new and they are wondering when I am going to join them forever in a quilt.
    (double knit will out live us all, lol!)
    Old 10-28-2013, 05:43 PM
    Power Poster

What a treasure. Enjoy every wonky short-cut piece. Yes, log cabin can be done foundation pieced.
    Old 10-28-2013, 06:25 PM

I agree about the quilt police decades later. My Grandma made many, many quilts. It is obvious that she loved to piece but didn't spend much time with the quilting (she had a quilting frame hanging from her ceiling and all the quilts I have are hand quilted), The batting she used is clumping because the most quilting she did was quilt in the ditch. The pieced patterns and appliques are beautifully pieced and appliqued 60-80 years later, but she not want to waste time doing the actual quilting.

The top of only one of her quilts is a problem -- all the fabrics are from the 30's and one of them is falling apart. The funny thing is, I got my MIL's scrap bag and in there was the same fabric (she had made herself a dress from it in the 30's and the scraps were too big for her to toss). MIL's scraps are in great shape so I am thinking about covering up the damaged pieces with the ones from my MIL. I showed the quilt and the pieces to a quilt appraiser and she was amazed at the coincidence. She said to go for it.
    Old 10-29-2013, 02:31 AM

Many books out there on foundation piecing log cabins. One that comes to mind is written by Linda Causee. "101 Log Cabin Blocks" (1997). There's one on Amazon for under $7 for a used copy. I use this book often. Lots of different sizes and variations.

Anita
    Old 10-29-2013, 03:07 AM

ahhhhhh that's not fair - tell us all about this great quilt and no pictures! waaaa-waaaa-waaaa! just teasing!

Love the story and the description.

Nan
    Old 10-29-2013, 03:53 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

LOL I am sure there was quilt police back then and probably she just didn't care. Did things her way -which right on for her. Cannot wait to see photos!! very exciting for sure !! :-)
    Old 10-29-2013, 04:24 AM

Yeah, I found a lot of short cuts in my Grandma's quilts, too. I think they were more apt to do that just to use up there scraps, they just had to do, but this was only in her utility quilts, her "masterpieces" were just that, they were usually hand appliqued, hand quilted gems.
    Old 10-29-2013, 04:35 AM

Actually, one of my several years old UFOs is a foundation based log cabin. I did a smaller one, and found it helped to keep the logs straight.
    Old 10-29-2013, 05:19 AM

Will be looking forward to seeing the quilt top. I just came into possession of twenty Dresden blades that a friend's mother had made in the 40s and 50s. I finished them off as the edges were raw and no centers, they are absolutely beautiful. Tartan,somehow I doubt that anything you make isn't wonderful.