Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt Pounce and stencils >
  • Quilt Pounce and stencils

• Quilt Pounce and stencils

Old 07-16-2018, 04:55 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts
    I have finished quilting it, and the chalk is still there. I didn't use anything to keep it on (hairspray, etc.). Just "au naturel".
    Of course, because you stated you bought the "Ultimate Pounce" which only comes off with application of heat or washing.

As I stated in my previous reply you only need to use the hairspray on the old fasioned regular chalk pounce, not the "Ultimate" which you bought. Additionally, do not combine Ultimate Pounce which goes away with heat (iron, hair dryer set on hot or washing) with the regular blue pounce. As far as I know white is the only color that Ultimate Pounce comes in, the blue is still regular chalk. So please do not dilute the two as I suggested unless you have white that is not Ultimate Pounce. I have no idea what combining the two will do if one is ultimate and the other is colored regular. The heat needed to remove the Ultimate, could very well set the blue dye in the blue one.

My experience and suggestions above were only for regular pounce not the ultimate

Spraying with hairspray, mixing the two etc, can change the chemical composition of one or the other or could do nothing, I have no idea. Which is why I emphasized the difference between the two.
    Old 07-16-2018, 06:06 AM
    Power Poster

After pouncing the Pounce before first use, then you only have to swipe across stencil. There is a youtube video how to do it right the first time. I use the Pounce for applique placement too. The new chalk stays on the fabric.
    Old 07-16-2018, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    Of course, because you stated you bought the "Ultimate Pounce" which only comes off with application of heat or washing.

As I stated in my previous reply you only need to use the hairspray on the old fasioned regular chalk pounce, not the "Ultimate" which you bought. Additionally, do not combine Ultimate Pounce which goes away with heat (iron, hair dryer set on hot or washing) with the regular blue pounce. As far as I know white is the only color that Ultimate Pounce comes in, the blue is still regular chalk. So please do not dilute the two as I suggested unless you have white that is not Ultimate Pounce. I have no idea what combining the two will do if one is ultimate and the other is colored regular. The heat needed to remove the Ultimate, could very well set the blue dye in the blue one.

My experience and suggestions above were only for regular pounce not the ultimate

Spraying with hairspray, mixing the two etc, can change the chemical composition of one or the other or could do nothing, I have no idea. Which is why I emphasized the difference between the two.
    Feline - I didn't use the ultimate for this one - I used the blue, not sure why it doesn't look blue, but it is.

I have the ultimate but haven't used it yet. I said I had bought it, and would test it. The picture I posted shows what I used - and I even wrote on it - does not iron off.

Last edited by MarionsQuilts; 07-16-2018 at 08:15 AM.
    Old 07-16-2018, 10:00 AM
    Power Poster

Is the powder in your blue dispenser actually blue? It totally looks white in the pics which is why I assumed you used the Ultimate in your practice piece. My blue pounce is blue, Really blue like robins egg blue, which is why I dilute it. I am wondering if they may have shipped you something different. When I ordered mine, the chalk powder was not already in the pouncer. It came in a plastic bag and I had to load my pouncer (which I don't use the full bag in the pouncer). The regular stuff rubs off really easily which is why I am wondering. In fact, when I use it on my longarm, it can bounce right off the surface of the quilt without treating it some way. But I also use traditional stencils, not the special ones that are made by full line stencil company made specifically for pounce pads.

Here is a pic of a quilt while it is on the rack. The circling cranes is a stencil I marked using a half and half of blue and white regular pounce and you can still clearly see the bright blue in the quilting.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]597948[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails asian-ohio-star-crane-border.jpg  

Last edited by feline fanatic; 07-16-2018 at 10:06 AM.
    Old 07-16-2018, 12:09 PM

Feline Fanatic ... here's a pic of the pounce ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597960[/ATTACH]

The ultimate one is still packaged, I was going to send them back if I didn't like it, but I am very pleased with it.

I wonder if it's because I "swiped" instead of "pounced" my quilt top? I really don't know ... I'm going to be doing another one (as soon as my fabric arrives LOL), so I'll see what happens the next time.
    Attached Thumbnails img_2505.jpg