Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • quilt as retirement gift - ideas >
  • quilt as retirement gift - ideas

• quilt as retirement gift - ideas

Old 04-21-2011, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by JanTx
    Hey - doesn't the last one of these look like one of the CLotilde ones? Maybe I could get some safety FQ's with these? The fifth from the left is the same, isn't it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-RUBY-RED-DOT...item4cf61b79e1
    Yea it sure looks like the same one :) Not sure if the others are exactly the same color red though. They look like they vary a bit. Not that that would be bad :) But if you are wanting them all to be the exact same shade of red, the others may be off a little. Depends on the look you are going for!
    Old 04-21-2011, 09:11 PM

Why are you using fat quarters? wouldn't it be more cost effective to buy yardage?
    Old 04-21-2011, 09:21 PM

The pattern calls for Fat Quarters and I am a very literal person! :)

I thought to get the variety I wanted - 12 different patterns - this was more efficient. If the shop sells by the 1/4 yard it would be better to do that?

To be sure they coordinated I thought getting a FQ bundle was the way to go.

But ... I'm trainable!

Quilting - a retired teacher has her own machine, has been quilting her own projects, but when I ran into her at the quilt shop recently she said she was ready to start quilting for others and to give her a call if I wanted to see about using her. My skills are limited to Stitch NEAR a ditch and diagonal lines. I doubt it would be custom. She's out of town playing with a new grandbaby, but I've sent her an email to see what she would charge. So ... dunno! If it's more like $40 - $60 -- even better!
    Old 04-22-2011, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by JanTx
    The pattern calls for Fat Quarters and I am a very literal person! :)

I thought to get the variety I wanted - 12 different patterns - this was more efficient. If the shop sells by the 1/4 yard it would be better to do that?

To be sure they coordinated I thought getting a FQ bundle was the way to go.
    I'm probably a day late/dollar short but I just came across your post. I would think yardage would be more cost effective since you won't be using all you'd get in a bundle.
    If you shop at local LQS you can see actual color, will have it right away & no shipping costs.
    If you plan to get backing there anyway they should have co ordinating fabrics. I say support local when you can.
    Old 04-22-2011, 05:08 AM

As for the reds vs. browns part...

Even though the principal is retiring from your school, with red and white school colors...it would be beautiful to take some artistic licence and go in a few different shades of red, sneaking into the "brick" realm versus rah-rah school colors red and use ivories and cream instead of white-white. The feeling is still there, you know? Like a trade-up on the colors, but still an homage to all her hard work.
    Old 04-22-2011, 06:45 AM

We went to the local quilt shop first. Always do. But she was very limited in her reds. Mostly florals, but no real collections - not enough to get 12 different prints, anyway. We plan to get the backing and binding there if we can at all.

rah-rah reds - we picture her taking it to the football games in the Fall (Small town - everyone goes!) But will see what we can do to get some other shades in there.

Thanks to all - we're getting great advice here! As always!
    Old 04-22-2011, 11:45 AM
    Banned

some folks are really set on school colors. I gave a friend som red one time for a school quilt and it had too much orange in it. So if you want to be true to the school be true to the colors as well.
    There are not many reds out there that are true.

How if you are onsidering some kind of memory writing on the quilt (you didn't say so) let me suggest a muslin backing on which friends and coworkers could write name and other things. This will be on the back and not on the front for all to see.

I too am looking for reds for a block exchange and am finding it difficult to find true red. The blocks will be red and white. So I'm having to drive some distance where I suspect the shop will have what I need.
    Old 04-22-2011, 04:38 PM

We were first going to do a signature quilt - had considered a piano key border with alsternating red and white pieces. When we decided to do the Turning 12 pattern that got axed. Also considered the back for signatures, but decided to just put the "From your Northside family" to prevent there being confusion over who signs and who doesn't. (My school is Northside Elementary.)