Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • quilt retreat >
  • quilt retreat

• quilt retreat

Old 08-01-2008, 11:13 AM

I have good organization skills but I need a consensus.

Who will help me find a location? I can do most of the rest, but I don't have a clue for location. Memphis TN is not cheap to travel to, no major cheap airlines.

Dallas, maybe?

Share your thoughts...
    Old 08-01-2008, 11:19 AM

Yes, let's do it! Sounds like fun.
    Maybe somewhere centrally located to where we all live. Maybe the middle of the US.
    Old 08-01-2008, 06:57 PM

Kansas!
    Old 08-01-2008, 07:08 PM

As the actual cost will most probably be the main concern for all, going by comments from other threads, the "best" destinations would likely be to big tourist cities. Flights would be priced cheaper to hot spots as opposed to "why are we going there?" destinations.

Also, pricing for accommodations/travel arrangements for groups would likely be more economical where there is competition.

????????? Just my thoughts as I read this thread. Sounds like a GREAT thing to plan. I've read the Elm Creek series, actually have them, and I never knew there were such things as retreats. Didn't know a thing about quilting either, except that I was fascinated by them, until reading them.

I so don't want this to come across in any way as offensive.
    Old 08-01-2008, 07:43 PM

that is a good point about tourist destinations - especially if the travel plans on made in the off season - like Vegas in the summer, phoenix in the summer, minneapolis/Chicago in the winter, etc.

one thing to think about would be when to do it - school year is hard because of kids in school, but then it is also hard in the summer because they aren't in school (speaking from the point of view of a stay at home mom of a 1st and 2nd grader!)!

also where are retreat centers located?
    Old 08-01-2008, 07:44 PM

I have always wanted to go to a quilt retreat here-I would love to sleep under one of these quilts!! It is in KS, too, but could only accommodate 16 people. (I also just happen to LOVE her fabrics too!!)

http://www.ktquilts.com/getaway.php
    Old 08-01-2008, 08:52 PM

Paducah, KY may not be the biggest tourist destination, but sure would be fun!
    Old 08-02-2008, 09:27 AM

Seems to me that it would be nice to have a quilt retreat in a destination that caters to quilters. I googled Quilter's retreats and many sites came up. There are places that sound like an Elm Creek sort of retreat and there are others that are more like Bed n Breakfasts, but set up for groups of quilters who just want to get away and sew. And they are all over the country, Canada too. Lots of price ranges too. From very resonable to way over my head, prices. It was fun to read about the different retreats and most of them had pictures.
    Old 08-02-2008, 01:11 PM

I have been to 3 and will be going to another in Sept. They are worth every penny. If there are vendors they have great stuff and great deals.
    I think every quilter should go at least once. Next B'day Christmas , Mothers Day, etc. ask for cash to put toward a retreat!
    Connie
    Old 08-02-2008, 03:08 PM

Well, I feel very privileged because I attend at least one a year. The one our guild puts on is at a retreat center, all organic food meals included, we pay $325 Cdn Fri. dinner until Sun. lunch. We have a room to sew, and a room to eat and all the bedrooms are in the same building, so we can wear our jammies or slippers or whatever. There is usually a project or two offered, but most of us bring our own projects to work on, there is always one vendor for the Sat. .... a great little woods area with paths to get out and have some fresh air.....and the best part...only about an hour from home :) Sometimes we have a FQ lottery, or a bingo, but just depends on which guild members volunteer to organize it.
    My little group of 8 also does a 3 day retreat at one member's log cabin, accessible only by water.....so only hand projects......and we decide on menus and then we each choose what we're going to cook.
    This past year, I was fortunate to also attend a retreat at a Spa Resort with hot springs..... a great spot, a little $$$$, but all food included & more projects than anyone could possibly work on in the given time.
    Quilting is a wonderful hobby and I've met so many great friends through it. If you have a church camp near you, you could probably find even 5-6 people close enough to pay the cost & have a wonderful weekend. There are alot of fabulous retreats offered on the web, but most are beyond the means of young families......I gotta say.....this has to be another one of those "golden" moments we've always heard about that's supposed to come our way as we age :roll: