Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • quilt retreat >
  • quilt retreat

• quilt retreat

Old 08-02-2008, 03:36 PM

This is where I went on my retreat last March!!!

http://www.compasscentre.com/amenities.asp

I stayed in the Knotty Girl's room decorated in bright orange. Each room was named and decorated with color theme quilts. One room was named S.L.U.T.S= Sophiticated Ladies United to Sew. I thought that was cute so at times I call myself that. Had a great time!!!!!!

See site for more information??????
    Old 08-02-2008, 03:55 PM

Wow you girls certainly get around. I'd love to go on a retreat.
    A selected few from the group I belong to arrange between themselves to go, (doesn't go down too well with the other ladies in the group) but not close to home. Year before last they went to China, last year to Houston. Apparently they aren't going to go this year but plan to go next year to Japan.
    I'd love to go anywhere I even thought of France as it's closer than any if the above.!!
    Would love to join you ladies maybe next year if you decide to do one. I'd love to go, if you do decide to go this year don't forget to post pics :D
    How long would you go for? And what time of the year would you be thinking of. As I would need to book my annual leave well in advance.
    Enjoy yourselves & think of me. :cry:

Tisha, Nottingham, UK.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:14 PM

I looked at the Compass Center website and it looks great!
    What it doesn't have listed is the cost.
    Can you help?
    Old 08-02-2008, 05:25 PM

I paid around 196.00 for Thursday evening thru Sunday at noon with breakfast, lunch and dinner. Meals at lunch and dinner were prepared from scratch along with drink and dessert. Breakfast was provided only thing you had to fix your own and could pick from a variety. The lady that owns it made some great meals. You can also stay Sunday evening thru Thursday at noon. Great looking place out in the country about 30 minutes from Waco, Texas

I am not sure if that is a special price or that is what they charge contact Melissa email at bottom of her pages.
    Old 08-02-2008, 05:53 PM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

I would love to go but my disabilities don't allow me to keep up the pace. My friend from last place I worked attends regularly. she has a few she will not miss each year.

Yes, you have to save. There are usually list of needs and each project costs beyond housing.

She loves it. I enjoy each trip she shares with me !

Ellen
    Old 08-03-2008, 08:24 AM

I've never been on one myself. They do sound like fun though. One of the quilt shops I visit is in the beginning stages of planning a quilt cruise. I think she said they were sailing to Bermuda. That sounds like fun!
    Old 08-03-2008, 09:22 AM

My local guild has an annual retreat every year. Each year there is a theme and last year it was "Tea Party". I have not been able to attend as I have a conflict on the weekend it is held but the price is very reasonable with meals provided, Fri. night - Sun. noon. There are a couple of workshops that local members conduct. I hear good things every year about it. There are several ladies who have never missed one. I think the center where it is held can accomodate about 50 people.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:32 PM

I would love to partake in a retreat next year. I have a sister in North Carolina that I could visit and then drive to Tenn... It is a lot of organizing etc...
    Old 08-03-2008, 02:12 PM

I have been to quilt retreats and they are the best time. You bring all of your own sewing equipment and things to work on, but if you forget something, someone will have it or we go out shopping one day for a few hours. We hit the quilt shops in the area. Dinner on Thursday we are on our own. The rest of the meals are provided. We can sew on anything that we like. There are usually 2 patterns to pick from, but if you choose not to do them, you still get the patterns. We all bring snacks, nuts, chocolate, chocolate whatever. You can stay up as late as you like. breakfast is at 8am if you miss it, oh well. Lunch is at 12 noon, dinner at 5pm. Seems like all we do is eat. But we have a really good time. There are new people sometimes. We are going again this year in Oct for 4 days. Can't wait. :D :)
    We also pre shop before we get to the Camp!
    Old 08-05-2008, 07:09 PM

I have been to several. They are a blast. You meet so many talented individuals. It's worth saving your money to go. Nothing was for sale at the retreats I went to. Everybody worked on what they wanted to; ate; talked; acted like they were working; ate; etc. .....you get the picture! Save your money and go. Check with your local quilt shop and go to one close to you. I feel sure you will enjoy them. Good Luck! GiGi :D :D :D