Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt Retreats >
  • Quilt Retreats

• Quilt Retreats

Old 09-04-2024, 02:45 AM

I've never been to a retreat, but the classes I've taken have been irritating, because of someone interrupting my concentration and asking questions about their own work. I guess I'm more of a loner when it comes to quilting, and I have "spurts" of energy to quilt or not, so I just never signed up for retreats.
    Old 09-04-2024, 06:18 AM

Never attended, but have a question. Do people sew all night long?
    Old 09-04-2024, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by magicmoonmusings
    I've only been to one. I enjoyed the camaraderie because I'm an extrovert, but I learned that I HATE sharing a hotel room with anyone. Since the guilds never offer single room options, I don't bother.
    I'm with you there. I have sleep problems and when I can't sleep, I get up and read or move around a bit. Hard to do when you have a roommate. I also have food sensitivities so eating is a problem and I'd mostly have to take my own food. It just seems like a big hassle.

I go to quilting bees or open sews once a week or so which helps me get projects done and I have a opportunity to ask others opinions or just question and I enjoy the camaradarie with others
    Old 09-04-2024, 07:16 AM
    Power Poster

I went to a retreat that had two big rooms. One room was for dedicated quiet sewers and the other was for chatty, sew whenever, sewers. They were called the Quiet Room and the Fun Room.
    Old 09-04-2024, 10:54 AM

I used to go to retreats but requested single room. I can sew all day. But, there are times I want wander around and see what everyone else is working on. I have not been since Covid. I miss it but not ready to go back yet. Onebyone it sounds like you went to the same place I did.
    Old 09-04-2024, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by aashley333
    Never attended, but have a question. Do people sew all night long?
    I have never seen people sew all night long, but some are there to 1 or 2 in the morning.
    Old 09-04-2024, 10:30 PM

I only go to about one a year, but I enjoy it. I feel like I accomplish a lot. If I am home sewing I will stop and do shopping or cleaning. It especially helps me finish a project! For me a retreat is sewing and visiting with my friends. I also bring a book and go off to read in my room whenever I want to take a break. Sometimes I put headphones on and listen to a book on tape while I sew.
    Old 09-05-2024, 03:26 AM

Totally agree with others re rooms. I have terrible sleep habits, wake up easily and also - ugh - sometimes snore (or so my husband tells me). I do not want to share a room anymore - and certainly not a bed! There is a LQS not far from me that has a retreat house, but the rooms are all shared, so although convenient, it's a no-go for me.

Some of the better known ones that have shared rooms or even dormitory style rooms are out of the question, even though they otherwise look fabulous.
    Old 09-05-2024, 05:50 AM

I like retreats, but now it’s too much of a hassle to pack up and load all the items needed. Over the years I have created a nice quilt/sewing room. So instead I like to do virtual retreats. Preferably on zoom. For me, zoom retreats are fabulous. No moving and I can chat with other quilters.
    Old 09-11-2024, 06:46 AM

Last year I went to my first retreat. I went on my own to a guild I had just joined in a neighbouring community. The retreat was a great way to meet other guild members, although I didn't know who was or wasn't a member at the retreat. There was a definite "vibe" of shared creativity and camaraderie that I loved so much I signed up for the spring retreat as well. Some of the guild ladies offered me a bed at their place but I prefer to book a hotel room and have a quiet space for my own down time at the end of the day. I'm not a night owl so always leave at supper time.

What's great about the retreats? - there are 29 other people to share information with and learn from; - there is lots of good advice available; - when you want a break from the sewing machine, just walk around and ask "what are you working on?" and you're immediately in a conversation; - gleaning ideas from others; - the laughter; - not having "life" interfere.