Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are quilt shops profitable? >
  • Are quilt shops profitable?

• Are quilt shops profitable?

Old 01-17-2011, 09:36 AM

I don't think you make money on classes as far as class fees are concerned, but on supplies and getting the customer hooked!! I would think most of the profit is from books, machines, sewing cabinets and notions of one sort or another. I'm not sure the wholesale cost of fabric, but you should be able to pay employees from what you net there. Whatever it is, its got to be more than what you have left after malpractice insurance :lol: :lol:
    Old 01-17-2011, 10:01 AM
    cjr

What has not been mentioned here, owning-working a business takes a lot of physical energy and stamina.

Re location: There are 3 good quilt shops here, 2 in shopping centers, one a little off the beaten path, their thinking was/is they are a destination business. They are smaller, but no less busy then other shops.

As a former business owner, everything said above very important. During good times anything is easy, during a rough economy like now, every one struggles.

Good luck with your decision and dreams.
    Old 01-17-2011, 12:26 PM

location would be the key. We do not have a fabric store with in 15miles of our town so a fabric/craft/quilt store would be a good thing.
    Old 01-17-2011, 12:56 PM

Yes, even in this economy they can be profitable. The owner has to be willing to work long, hard hours. And it will take time to build a customer base. The shop must be knowledgable of customer service, classes, notions, fabrics etc. Seeing to the details is essential.
    Old 01-17-2011, 01:54 PM

Location, Friendly, Good hours, and fabric that others like, not just what you like. If you carry all darks, and no brights or more batiks than anything else it won't work. Classes that aren't too expensive, and maybe a discount on the fabric and rulers or books would help get them hooked. Overhead is the big killer, rent and utilities eat up your profits.
    Old 01-17-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Baby Catcher
    This is kind of a spin off from the what do you like in quilt shops thread. I practice in a very busy inner city hospital and my fantasy job is to work in a quilt shop. I have it all designed in my head :-D My question is in this economy can you make a living from owning a quilt shop? What do you all think?
    If you're looking for a monthly income from a quilt shop,I seriously doubt it. I turned my dining room(never used) into a quilt shop. But I don't sell items to make quilts,only made quilts.I make them all year and then around October I run an ad in our local paper and during November and December I sell them all for extra money for Christmas,home repairs,birthdays. Maybe if you sold the quilting supplies you could do it,I don't know.I have MS and and there are days that I can't physically do anything but look up patterns on the computer. You might also have to pay for help,and business insurance.My daughter helps me and the way I make my quilts I don't have to have more that the home insurance that I have.
    Old 01-17-2011, 02:06 PM

A good location costs lots of money, advertising enough to bring traffic into a not so good location can cost even more.
    Old 01-17-2011, 02:34 PM

I have had 5 quilts shops in my general area here in Atlanta. All 5 have gone out of business in the last 8 years. We have a second home in Hendersonville NC (Near Asheville). There are two quilt shops there. Both have relocated into very small shops...thus cutting down on the amount of fabric, etc. they stock. One is a Bernina dealer and 1/2 of her small space is designated for machines. Look at the threads here. It seems to me that most of the quilters here shop JoAnn's and Hancock-type places where they can get fabric on sales for $3.00 a yard. They aren't willing and/or able to pay $8-10/yard at LQS. I think it would be a very tough market and I wouldn't consider it in this economy under any circumstances. I owned a business for 30 years and it's a constant stress. I'd rather work in a quilt shop (and hopefully get a discount) than own it. Good luck in your decision-making.
    Old 01-17-2011, 02:47 PM

What part of Wisconsin? I assume Milwaukee? I think it depends on the location a lot as well, when I am willing to pay a lot is when I am in a "pinch"... so when I want to start/finish a project and I am out of something or need something extra. So then I go to Joannes (simply because that is all that is nearby me), and pay whatever it costs to be stocked. I work on my stash building when fabrics are around the $3 per yard mark like someone else posted.
    Good luck! I love your avatar as well.
    Old 01-17-2011, 02:57 PM
    Power Poster

One LQS started in a converted garage, later moved to a store, and from what I hear is now looking for a larger facility. One of the reasons they're successful is that they own their own bolts outright (no financing), they offer classes and have free activities as well, and they are always friendly and helpful. I've asked some owners whether the current economic climate is hurting, and the answer has always been that more people seem to be quilting now than ever. Maybe it's because we're staying at home more?