Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt Shows - Hand Quilting vs Machine Quilting >
  • Quilt Shows - Hand Quilting vs Machine Quilting

• Quilt Shows - Hand Quilting vs Machine Quilting

Old 11-08-2010, 06:06 AM

Well....first I need a quilt that would be worth to enter....and then I need more information about sending a quilt to US and the prices etc....
    Old 11-08-2010, 06:13 AM

Our local quilt club has a show once a year. I have entered a for a few years and won ribbons. Everything has to be hand quilted. There are no catagories for judging machine quilting.

Honestly, I hand quilt because I can do that better than machine quilting! LOL To all of those that machine quilt your tops, I salute you! It takes a lot of practice and patience.

Hand quilting is an art too. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to quilt. I just think you have to do what is right for you.
    Old 11-08-2010, 06:15 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    Well....first I need a quilt that would be worth to enter....and then I need more information about sending a quilt to US and the prices etc....
    Oh Puhleeeze!!! Any of your gorgeous quilts would be worth entering!! I've been to your blog.

Here is a link for the themed quilts for next year. It should have the information you need, or direct you to the proper place. Good luck!!

http://callforentriesgoodforyou.com/
    Old 11-08-2010, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    All your quilts look exquisite and more than worthy of being entered in the show!

I just need to find an excuse to visit your area. One of my horses is Holsteiner on both sides of his pedigree and I would love to visit the stud farms over there. Then I could bring your quilt back with me and take it to the show for you ;)
    Old 11-08-2010, 06:35 AM

I have been to Amish Quilt Shows before and they all hand quilted. I've also been to Paducah and Lancaster shows too and the majority of quilts seem to be machine quilted, but a few are hand quilted. I love to look at both kinds for different reasons. I'm a handquilter, but not up to your standards by any means.
    borntohandquilt you SHOULD enter your quilts in these shows. I did read the rules that gaigai posted and you wouldn't be able to post the quilt on your blog if you decide to enter it. That's a small price to pay for the EXQUISITE work that you do. I'd be sooooo proud if you won and I got to say we're members of the same quilting board.
    Old 11-08-2010, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
    I did read the rules that gaigai posted and you wouldn't be able to post the quilt on your blog if you decide to enter it. That's a small price to pay for the EXQUISITE work that you do.
    Actually, she can send previously exhibited quilts to Houston. The "World of Beauty" contest is open to all quilts made within the dates they specify in the rules. Many of the quilts shown in Houston this weekend have been in other shows and published in magazines.
    Old 11-08-2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    I'm disappointed that there aren't more quilts hand quilted. I truly believe that there should be 2 separate categories. One for each. IMHO the 2 don't and can't compare.

Sadly to say I thinks its a sign of the times. As people find themselves short on time, they find faster ways of doing something.
    I've haven't been to a show or fair yet where hand and machine quilted quilts are judged in the same catagory.
    Old 11-08-2010, 08:08 AM

Unless they're specifically being judged for the quilting, most of the shows I've seen judge them together. I don't really see any reason to separate them - well designed quilting should win, whether it's done by hand or machine.
    Old 11-08-2010, 03:05 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Hinterland
    Originally Posted by gaigai
    The BIG MONEY winners are all machine quilted because they are sponsored by the different machine companies. I don't know of anyone who sponsors big-money prizes for hand-quilting, but there may be someone.
    Actually, the quilt that won the Founders Award ($7500 in prize money) is a hand-quilted Baltimore Album quilt by Nancy Kerns. She uses a 14 inch hoop, and she quilts at her dining room table. The table supports the weight of the quilt - and the quilt is HUGE!

Colonial Needle sponsored the Handmade category this year, and John Flynn sponsored the hand quilting category.

The Paducah quilt show has also honored hand quilted quilts, and their purchase prizes are big money if you want to give them your quilt. One of the major winners last show is Linda Roy, whose quilt "Vintage Button Bouquet" is hand quilted. That quilt won first place in Traditional Applique at Houston. :)
    Thank you for this information :D:D:D
    Old 11-08-2010, 03:21 PM

Best of Show Winner in Houston -- three years in a row -- Sharon Schamber was at our guild meeting in October (she's a fantastic speaker and she passes around samples that you can hold and look at), and she was asked the question about hand quilting vs. machine quilting. She made the interesting comment that she had asked some of the show judges about the two mediums, and the judges indicated to her that it was felt that hand quilting was a "craft" and machine quilting was an "art."

Just sharing what she told us...no hissing please... Personally, I don't know the difference between a superb craftsman and an outstanding artist.