Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt Shows - Hand Quilting vs Machine Quilting >
  • Quilt Shows - Hand Quilting vs Machine Quilting

• Quilt Shows - Hand Quilting vs Machine Quilting

Old 11-08-2010, 03:23 PM

The quilting can make or break a quilt. Hand quilting has it's look, machine quilting has it's own. They usually are in separate categories.

Many shows also separate machine quilted quilts where a quilter quilts their own or hires a professional. I absolutely agree that someone who wrestles a quilt under their home machine should not have to compete against someone who writes a check to a professional.
    Old 11-08-2010, 04:02 PM

good for you . Hand quilting is the best for my money. however at our quild most of the quilts are done by machine but I agree there should be a seperate class for hand quilting. if we don"t start acknowledging that as a skill it will go away.
    Old 11-08-2010, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tolelady53
    She made the interesting comment that she had asked some of the show judges about the two mediums, and the judges indicated to her that it was felt that hand quilting was a "craft" and machine quilting was an "art."
    Interesting point of view... does that also mean that a handquilter will never have the chance to win the Best of Show? Just asking....
    Old 11-09-2010, 03:51 AM

Hey, Andrea...it's awesome to me that someone from Texas can "talk" to some one from Germany...WOW isn't technology fabulous. Anyway, I would think each quilt's merits would stand on its own. If I remember correctly, this year's Heritage Award at the Houston Show ($7500) was won by a hand quilter. If I remember the posting here, the lady quilts at her dining room table with a 14" hoop! Now that's patience!

I love handquilting, but alas my Type A personality gets the best of me...and I turn to my "mid arm".
    Old 11-09-2010, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    Interesting point of view... does that also mean that a handquilter will never have the chance to win the Best of Show? Just asking....
    Quilts should be judged on craftsmanship and design, so yes, a handquilter does have a chance to win Best of Show.

I would love the chance to debate that judge who said hand quilting is "craft" and machine quilting is "art." Machine quilting is faster. That doesn't make it better. It's what you do with your stitches that transforms it from craft.
    Old 11-09-2010, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Hinterland
    I would love the chance to debate that judge who said hand quilting is "craft" and machine quilting is "art." Machine quilting is faster. That doesn't make it better. It's what you do with your stitches that transforms it from craft.
    Thank you, Janet... you speak right from my heart.

:thumbup:
    Old 11-09-2010, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Hinterland
    Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    Quilts should be judged on craftsmanship and design, so yes, a handquilter does have a chance to win Best of Show.

I agree Janet! I find it hard to believe that anyone with a quilting passion would make such a statement! They both are an art in their own right!