Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt shows >
  • Quilt shows

• Quilt shows

Old 03-04-2014, 03:22 PM

If you know where to look you can see 'regular' quilts in almost all the shows.

Even at the Houston we saw some quilts we could do. When in Paducah there were more than just the quilt show quilts. Quilts were everywhere, literally. And then Eleanor Burns had the Fair Grounds and all her tents.

My favorites are really the two main quilt shows in the state: Arizona Quilter's Guild and the Tucson quilt festival, then I also add the many local quilt shows.
    Old 03-04-2014, 05:35 PM

When I go to a quilt show I hope to see some of everything. And I learn something new every time I check out those "impossible" quilts.
    Old 03-05-2014, 05:10 AM

I agree with Ubequilting on the Somerset show. I find they have quite a range of style of quilts including hand quilted. The last time I was at the Lancaster show, I did not see many of of those, certainly, there. But still a nice range of piecing/patterns. Have not been to any other shows so can't really make any other comparisons.
    Old 03-05-2014, 06:12 AM

I agree, the over the top quilts do seem to take precedence at the shows. I think a really good show will have all styles not just "professional grade" quilts. But then everyone puts in their "best" so that's often over the top.
    Old 03-05-2014, 06:29 AM

I went to Paducah once, about 16 years ago and loved it, but mostly I go to local guild shows which have all kinds of quilts. Also, sometimes the vendors have interesting quilts to show. Most of the time they want to sell you a pattern or fabric, so I think they are quite do-able. Looking forward to the Rutland, Vermont guild show coming up in early April. Small, but enjoyable, good vendors and often quilts by people I know which is fun. Sometimes I get ideas from a quilt I would not make myself, but have interesting quilting or nice use of colors. Also, I think you might want to say you see quilts you could not make YET. If you keep trying, build your skills and confidence, eventually you will be able to do lots more than you might think.
    Old 03-05-2014, 06:37 AM
    Administrator

The first time i went to the Houston show, i left feeling like i'd never made a "real" quilt in my life. i had just been cutting fabrics into pieces and putting them back together as things that were "ok," but nothing to brag about.

The second time i went to the Houston show, i found many quilts on display that i knew i could make, too. It was inspiring and affirming. I took this as a sign that I was improving - and that I should keep going in this wonderful art. It also drove home the very important point that there is beauty and value in any quilt that has been made with care - whether seemingly simple or so complicated it boggles the mortal mind.

it's all good.
    Old 03-05-2014, 06:59 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by maminstl
    I have only been to one, but it's the big one in Paducah. I found myself paying attention to those quilts that I thought that I had the skill to make - there definitely were some. The difference, however, is their use of color - that is what makes the quilt spectacular and a real work of art in my opinion.

This is the absolute truth. Find a pattern with good bones and put spectacular fabric in it. I have been lucky to have done that once or twice in my lifetime.
    Old 03-05-2014, 09:54 PM

Lancaster, Pa. is next week. Look at the good ones, but there are mistakes in most all. I was very disappointed in some of the judging in the last two shows I went to. Points were off, even one star point was going the wrong way.
    Who hires and pays these judges? I know but even our local show, I question the way the judging is done. But I go
    with my friends and we always have a good time. And I spend too much money at the vendors' booths.