Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt size >
  • Quilt size

• Quilt size

Old 08-12-2008, 07:19 AM

I am making my GD a "Hugs" quilt. I am just using up fat quaters that I have had for a long time and need to get out of my stash(so I can buy some more). lol The blocks are 12" and the size seems odd to me. She has a full size bed and I laid this out on my full size bed and it covers it. I am really making it for her to use to wrap up in to watch TV and snuggle on the couch. I will be backing it with flannel. It is going to be 69" wide and 92"long. I did not want to add another row of blocks across because I really don't have any more fat qt. that will go with this and I am running out of time as I need to get it to the quilter by next week. Is this size just too strange?
    Old 08-12-2008, 08:34 AM

No. How do you fell about it? Go by your feelings.You can always add a borderto it .
    Old 08-12-2008, 08:36 AM

I THINK A FULL SIZE BED IS 54 X 75, IF YOU ARE MAKING A QUILT FOR THE BED THE IT SHOULD BE OK BUT IF YOU ARE JUST MAKING LIKE A THROW JUST FOR HER TO LAY AROUND WITH THEN IS WAY TO BIG YOUR ARE BETTER OFF MAKING A TWIN SIZE WHICH IS 39 X 75.
    Old 08-12-2008, 08:48 AM

Craftybug wrote
    I THINK A FULL SIZE BED IS 54 X 75, IF YOU ARE MAKING A QUILT FOR THE BED THE IT SHOULD BE OK BUT IF YOU ARE JUST MAKING LIKE A THROW JUST FOR HER TO LAY AROUND WITH THEN IS WAY TO BIG YOUR ARE BETTER OFF MAKING A TWIN SIZE WHICH IS 39 X 75.
    This size it with borders. I am making it so she can use it on her bed too but know she lays in the floor to watch tv and will use it there too.
    Old 08-12-2008, 09:06 AM

How old is your grand daughter? It really doesn't matter. If she likes to lay in the floor to watch tv or play or whatever, she is going to love the fact that it is longer than it is wide........she can set more stuff up on it to play or have that much more to cuddle with it........I say go for it like it is! :D

Linda D.
    Old 08-12-2008, 09:49 AM

I think if you like it, then it's a great size!!!!! You being happy and your grand-daughter loving it is all that matters!!!!

Old 08-12-2008, 11:12 AM

There are some standard sizes here;

http://quilterscache.com/StartQuilti...iltingtwo.html

I prefer a larger quilt myself, to put around pillows and to avoid problems with cover theives.

My very first was a trip around the world.
    Old 08-12-2008, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by BDor
    I am making my GD a "Hugs" quilt. I am just using up fat quaters that I have had for a long time and need to get out of my stash(so I can buy some more). lol The blocks are 12" and the size seems odd to me. She has a full size bed and I laid this out on my full size bed and it covers it. I am really making it for her to use to wrap up in to watch TV and snuggle on the couch. I will be backing it with flannel. It is going to be 69" wide and 92"long. I did not want to add another row of blocks across because I really don't have any more fat qt. that will go with this and I am running out of time as I need to get it to the quilter by next week. Is this size just too strange?
    add another 3" to each side only and that will give you a 10" drop on the sides. the length will generously cover the pillows.

butterflywing
    Old 08-12-2008, 03:15 PM

I prefer a larger quilt myself, to put around pillows and to avoid problems with cover theives.
    LOL..cover thieves are the worst!
    Old 08-12-2008, 04:53 PM
    Power Poster

I make all mine between 58 X 70 to 60 X 72 and it is perfect to snuggle on the couch with my hubby says.