Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt Stencils >
  • Quilt Stencils

• Quilt Stencils

Old 10-30-2009, 04:37 AM

Has anyone used the quilt stencils? It says to pull a "pounce" pad over the stencil and and it will deposit the chalk on the fabric, thereby creating a design to quilt or paint or whatever. How did it do? Are there any other ways to put a quilting design on your quilt? Thanks for any help you might give.
    Old 10-30-2009, 04:48 AM

The pounce pad is the easiest to use. I've used my quilting/sewing marking pencils to trace or draw the design on by outlining the stencils, but it's time consuming. Don't get the colored chalk, only use the white because the color sets (still) if you press it before washing.

I've had good results using the pouncer.

Sharon
    Old 10-30-2009, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by mimisharon
    The pounce pad is the easiest to use. I've used my quilting/sewing marking pencils to trace or draw the design on by outlining the stencils, but it's time consuming. Don't get the colored chalk, only use the white because the color sets (still) if you press it before washing.

I've had good results using the pouncer.

Sharon
    If you need to mark light fabric, where the white chalk doesn't show, your safest chalk color is the grey rather than the blue. Blue chalk can be tricky to wash out. I am not crazy about the Pounce pad, as it is messy and the chalk seems to scatter. You definitely can only mark a small area at a time. One trick I learned to prevent the chalk from scatteriing all over is to lightly mist your fabric with water before using the Pounce pad. Hope this helps. You can, of course, mark stencils with a pencil, but it is very time consuming.
    Old 10-30-2009, 06:54 AM

Some people love the pounce pad, some people hate it. You will find that some materials "grab" the chalk better than others. When I can and am using stencils, I use the pounce. But occasionally I will have to trace out with pencil. Therefore I have several different marking methods that I use. Whichever is the easiest and works best I use.
    Old 10-30-2009, 08:19 AM

I use full line stencils made for pounce. They have a mesh the pounce goes thru and they lay nice and flat.
    Old 10-30-2009, 05:50 PM
    Power Poster

I use my pounce with my stencils. I like that best.
    Old 10-31-2009, 11:49 AM

it depends on the stencil.. if the stencil has sharp curves or points, then dragging the pounce sometimes makes the stencil fold over on itself. that makes me very, very unhappy because it leaves a crease that's hard to get rid of if you even can.
    Old 10-31-2009, 12:36 PM
    Power Poster

It all depends on the project and the design I want to make. I have the pounce set and have used it. The only thing that is hard is the stencils are wider that your stitch is going to be. You have to decide before hand to follow the mark on one side or the other and stick to it. Or, of course use the center of the mark.

I also like and used the tear away quilting papers, marked with a stencil pencil, ironed on stencils, used the built in embroidery /quilting in my machine and done a lot of free motion. The quilting table I have now has a long templet to do an all over design that you follow with a stylus and it is nice, too.

When I begin I think what do I want on here? And go from there. So many choices and ways to quilt.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:38 PM

Where do you get the tear away stencils? None of the fabric shops where I live carry them and I would love to try them.
    Old 11-01-2009, 09:33 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/16797.page

read all of it

you can also make your own by tracing one you like on paper, pinning it to your quilt and sewing right over it. you'll have to trace enough to go your whole length. you might be able to use spray adhesive, but i never have tried that. also, i used see-thru plastic wrap instead of paper. it's all a matter of preference. whatever you use, you have to pick out the bits when you finish.