Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • quilt therapy >
  • quilt therapy

• quilt therapy

Old 12-06-2010, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    I realized this week, as I stayed inside the warm house quilting, that I now have 2 forms of "therapy" for my peace of mind. My horse therapy in the spring/summer and now quilting therapy for fall/winter when it is too cold out to ride. I may get aches & pains in this old body (bad neck, elbows, back, and so on), but I don't care because I'm super happy when I'm doing them! :D
    Me too! Going to the barn and being greeted by a nice warm muzzle makes my day....even after quilting all day. Donna
    Old 12-06-2010, 04:38 PM

I have undiagnosed ADD, possibly ADHD and since I discovered quilting 9 years ago, it has really been very therapeutic for me. It's the only thing I have ever been able to sit and do for literally hours at a time!
    Old 12-06-2010, 05:38 PM
    Net

I'm a caregiver and it's theraphy for me. And a great way to express myself.
    Old 12-06-2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by DebinNY
    Sure is for me... Not physical therapy but definately mental therapy... Life's problem are put on hold for a little while when I get behind my machine.
    well said DebinNY! I agree :)
    Old 12-06-2010, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by mrs_uncle_fuzzy
    I have PTSD from my sons violent death when he was 13. Quilting and sewing tend to keep me sane and and on track if I skip a few days of sewing I get panic attacks. The doctor says different things work for different people when I am angry my quilts are bright and bold and filled with abstract slashes, when I am depressed they are darker and and somber when I am unaffected and happy they tend to be whimsical. I think quilting sooths my soul. It is the best therapy I have found!
    So sorry about your son :cry: I'm glad you found something to ease your pain.

I've had anxiety and depression most of my life and after a painful relationship breakup I broke down and sought counselling. She put me onto a craft group and I started quilting. We all have the same problem so it also helps to have people around that understand. My group and my quilting are my therapy and I honestly don't know where I'd be without them.
    Old 12-06-2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by klgreene
    I lost a leg 3 1/2 yrs ago, and have phantom pain, 24 - 7. Almost 2 years ago I feel in the bathroom and shattered my hip, so phantom pain is worse. I have shoulder pain from having a shoulder replacement 2 1/2 yrs. ago, carpal tunnel from typing for years as well as all the crafts I did. And depression because of all this. BUT, when I quilt, I don't think about the pain, it relaxes me. Gives me a reason to get up in the morning. Quite frankly before I got back into quilting, there were many days, I just wanted to end it all. Not anymore. It actually gives me a reason to live. And I thank God all the time that I can do this and so many other things. Oh,and by the way, I'm only 62 so have a lot of good years ahead of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You go, Katie!!
    Old 12-06-2010, 07:25 PM

I am amazed at how many of you have overcome medical problems, mental problems. You are all an inspiration to the rest of us. I have suffered from depression most of my life, I will tell my husband I need to sew more. Actually when I am really depressed I don't want to sew, maybe I can turn that around.
    Old 12-06-2010, 07:28 PM

Quilting is therapy. I am housebound and sometimes I can't even use the machine so then I embroider a quilt, I NEED to quilt for therapy.
    Old 12-06-2010, 07:29 PM

Quilting is therapy. I am housebound and sometimes I can't even use the machine so then I embroider a quilt, I NEED to quilt for therapy.
    Old 12-06-2010, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by hikingquilter
    2 years ago my daughter, then 22 and in college, was in a car accident and suffered a traumatic brain injury. She was left with several cognitive obstacles to overcome. She had always been very athletic and an honor student. It was difficult for her to accept that her brain wouldn't work the way it used to. She had memory problems, aphasia, balance and coordination problems, and became depressed. One day she came with me to the LQS and was instantly drawn to the batiks. She said she wanted to make a quilt. She had never sewn before. She picked out several FQs and one fabric to pull them together. We decided to use HSTs. Each evening I would give her instructions and she would work on it during the day while was at work. (She couldn't decipher written instructions at the time.) The quilt turned out beautifully. It was her own pattern and is reversable (her idea, too!). It was wonderful therapy for her. It helped her re-learn to follow directions, re-built her self-confidence and overcome depression. She's hooked now. She made a quilt for her friend's 2yr old daughter and a handbag for a friend. She's become a fabric-aholic like me too! By the way, she doing very well today. Back in school (with a little help from student services), volunteering at Shriners and looking forward to working with other young people in medical re-hab.
    :thumbup: Let her know we're all behind her every step of the way! I, too, suffer from depression and COPD. Can't stand for long and can only walk several feet at a time. However, quilting is my Godsend, too. I love it...learning new things and realizing I CAN do them is so energizing. We're all in this together and able to get past our various challenges and no one would know from the results of our work the limitations we overcame. Hurrah for us. We're special people! YES WE CAN!