Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt top duvet cover? >
  • Quilt top duvet cover?

• Quilt top duvet cover?

Old 11-05-2017, 04:54 AM

Default Quilt top duvet cover?

I am thinking about using a quilt top to make a duvet cover. Maybe quilting it to some muslin first to enclose the seams and give it the quilted look. As much as I like quilts, DH & I like sleeping under a down comforter.

Too much work? Not practical? Won't look like I imagine? Any experience out there?
    Old 11-05-2017, 04:59 AM

No experience, but don't see why that would not work. The ones you buy are usually lined. Yours would be the same way if you quilt it to muslin. You could put flannel or a thin batting in it if you don't mind a little extra weight. Please post pictures if you do it.
    Old 11-05-2017, 06:01 AM

We use a wool comforter in winter, and I made a duvet cover just like you described. I quilted the top to backing without batting, to enclose the seams, and then added the bottom piece. It has held up well after 3-4 years of use.
    Old 11-05-2017, 07:55 AM

Should be a great project. I’m with you, we like a duvet. Never thought of making a quilty cover for it.
    Old 11-05-2017, 10:34 AM
    Power Poster

I think that's a great idea! That way you can have the pretty w/o the weight. I like the idea a lot.
    I also love down comforters. They are awesome. Last winter I didn't get mine out though b/c we had a really mild winter. I love the cold ( I'm probably an oddball but I love cold crisp air)
    Old 11-05-2017, 12:22 PM

I have been planning to do this too. I was thinking of taking apart my solid color duvet cover, and quilting the quilt top to the top of the duvet cover, and then sewing the duvet back together. Then I could use the existing button closures. I am also interested in anyone's experience or tips.
    Old 11-05-2017, 12:29 PM

Sounds like it would work fine without the batting like you described. Be sure to post photos of your finished cover.
    Old 11-05-2017, 12:55 PM
    DJ

I've been tempted to do that for the same reason. However, my personal solution is to put a quilt on top of my duvet-covered comforter. I don't like the look of the comforter being all puffy and not laying flat. The quilt holds it down and looks pretty. We just throw it back when we go to bed.

If you do decide to use a quilt for a duvet cover, I would definitely suggest backing it with something and quilting it before making it into a cover.
    Old 11-05-2017, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by TAMARATJO
    Then I could use the existing button closures. I am also interested in anyone's experience or tips.
    Mine has a zipper, so you could start from scratch, if you wanted to. Then you'll have two! I bought it at the thrift store, brought it home, and found that it was a twin instead of a full. So, I went into the stash, and inserted a stipe into the middle of one side so, after rearranging where the sides fell, I had a full. Re-installed the zipper, and viola! It helps me tell which side is up, too, lol.
    Old 11-05-2017, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by TAMARATJO
    I have been planning to do this too. I was thinking of taking apart my solid color duvet cover, and quilting the quilt top to the top of the duvet cover, and then sewing the duvet back together. Then I could use the existing button closures. I am also interested in anyone's experience or tips.
    That's a good idea! Since I will have to buy backing anyway, maybe I should do that.