Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt tops >
  • Quilt tops

• Quilt tops

Old 02-22-2011, 08:28 AM

I have heard the same on the storage of plastic bags to use a cedar chest line it with tissue paper.. My great grandma always said, ALL should be displayed and used just remember to rotate
    Old 02-22-2011, 10:08 AM

I bought an antique 9 foot ladder that I have leaning on a wall in my living room and have the quilts on the steps. Also have quilt racks in some of my other rooms. I also use them on my table and coffee/end tables.
    Old 02-22-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by gramquilter2
    I bought an antique 9 foot ladder that I have leaning on a wall in my living room and have the quilts on the steps. Also have quilt racks in some of my other rooms. I also use them on my table and coffee/end tables.
    Love this idea!
    Old 02-22-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by DawnMarie
    I've got them on beds and hanging over chairs.

My friend has hers folded neatly on the shelves of a hutch with glass doors.

Another friend's husband passed, she got rid of the guns, and now she uses the gun case for quilt storage. The glass door allows them to be viewed easily.

I have heard that you shouldn't store them in a cedar chest. Over time the cedar will cause color damage.
    I've heard you shouldn't store them in ANY wooden box unless it's been painted or protected with some other fabric and never store in plastic bags.
    Old 02-22-2011, 11:52 AM
    Power Poster

Only have 1. Keep giving them away!
    Old 02-22-2011, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by dltaylor
    When mine are not on the bed, I store mine in the plastic zip bags that comforters come out of when you buy them from the store.
    You really shouldn't keep them in plastic bags. They will pick up moisture and not in a cedar chest either unless you wrap them in acid free paper. Make a pillow case out of cotton and store them in there instead of plastic. Cedar chest will cause brown spots and they will not come out. Ask me how I know.
    Old 02-22-2011, 03:50 PM

Well, I fill the open shelving in my sewing room with the smaller ones--I love looking at them and all the colors, etc. I use them all over the house, I store them in my big suitcases I no longer use for travel--I have 3 of them filled plus a couple of under the bed storage bags. My antique quilts are in acid free box in the closet and a number are in the quilt display chest the kids gave me at Christmas. When I totally run out of places to keep them, I have a family "give away" -- usually about every third Christmas. I am fortunate to have a large family with which to share! I also use them for hostess gifts when I travel, which I do quite a bit.
    Old 02-22-2011, 03:54 PM

Anywhere there is a spot! I swear I'm gonna start selling them "that's why there are so many honey" but I just can't bear to part with many of them. But if someone really likes one, I just hand it over. Go figure!
    Old 02-22-2011, 04:05 PM

I have them on beds and 2 different quilt racks. I think about giving them away but only for a bit. I only want homemade quilts on my beds.
    Old 02-22-2011, 04:29 PM

I have quilts on every bed in the house (we have six) and those not in use are stored in matching pillowcases in my linen closet. I know immediately what quilt is in each case because I use the fabrics from the quilt to stitch the pillowcases. That way I don't have to dump out pillowcases searching for a particular quilt.