Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QUILT AS YOU GO block and batting only >
  • QUILT AS YOU GO block and batting only

• QUILT AS YOU GO block and batting only

Old 03-04-2015, 07:42 AM

Default QUILT AS YOU GO block and batting only

first let me say how much I love this board Now i have made a orange peel quilt i have 30 blocks finished I would like to quilt them first and then put them all together number 1 just quilt in the middle just batting and block number 2 add them together just like making the top. and then put more batting and backing on and finish does this sound stupid i will not be using sashing between block thank you i hope you all can understand this my mind is just whirling today and also I have been diagnosed with orthostatic tremor has any one heard of this Man I am in one more shape must go on prayers are surely appreciated
    Old 03-04-2015, 08:13 AM

I think i understand your question....where i get a little lost is where you then say "putting more batting and backing on". What would "hold" the 2nd batting and backing to the assembled blocks? Don't think it would be good to have it "flapping" loose....just held together around the outside edge of the quilt.
    Old 03-04-2015, 08:22 AM

thanks well i was thinking after i got the blocks done i would lay out my top and batting and backing and baste them all together but the blocks would have a little bit more batting after the finish and they would be a little thicker Imay try one block thank you for responding
    Old 03-04-2015, 08:53 AM
    Power Poster

look up Quilt as you Go. you can do it without sashings too.
    Old 03-04-2015, 08:55 AM
    Power Poster

I would not make it that way. I would and have done a regular QAYG. I use a square of backing fabric, a square of batting an then the top fabric. I quilted them as one piece, put them together with thin sashing strips. Do a search on this sight for Ditter's String Quilt. I used this Tutorial and it turned out great.
    Old 03-04-2015, 08:59 AM

thank you jungle HAHA i did try one block and no it will not work going to look up ditters well the old saying you never know till you try thanks everyone
    Old 03-04-2015, 09:01 AM

sorry I meant jingle see how messed up i am LOL LIFE IS GOOD
    Old 03-04-2015, 10:18 AM

Don't know the right name for it, (someone here does and will let you know), but there is a block that is QAYG where you make the backing block 1" larger on each side of block, assemble, quilt, then sew together. That way, you do not attach with a sashing, you just fold over the extra fabric to the front and sew down. It might be called The Fun Block? I saw it demo'd at a quilt show a couple years ago. There might be a video somewhere.
    Old 03-04-2015, 11:39 AM

I kind of did what you describe, I was sewing circles, so I QAYG by top squares and batting I then joined all the squares, spray basted batting and backing and SITD the blocks onto the backing. It means the quilting on the back is just large squares, but the batting is quilted by my circles and is within the recommended spacing for the batting if that makes sense, I used batik for the backing so enough interest in the fabric, although only stitched in squares.
    Old 03-04-2015, 12:34 PM
    Power Poster

I did that. made a quilt with the backing cut larger, quilted each block, then took two blks with the backing touching, sewed the backing seams, laid the two blocks down flat and folded over the fabric on each block, pinned and sewed with a decorative stitch. then went on and on doing the row that way. let me see if i can find the quilt photo
    Attached Thumbnails hawaiian-qlt-copy-2-.jpg