Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilted valance pattern anyone? >
  • Quilted valance pattern anyone?

• Quilted valance pattern anyone?

Old 07-02-2010, 03:34 PM

If it was me, I would make whatever design/color floating my boat and then make a cornice board out of foam core board or thick cardboard, cover with batting and then the pieced fabric and afix to the wall with cheapo corner brackets. You likely have all these things in the house already. It would show the pattern better to be flat and would let the sun shine in and that is ultimately what I want in a sewing room, LIGHT!
    Old 07-02-2010, 04:27 PM

I don't have one that is quick, but I have a pattern for a beautiful valance that uses log cabin blocks, applique of birdhouses, hearts and ivy with hearts and leaves at the end of each branch of ivy. It is beautiful. It would be easy to do, I think. email me with your address if anyone wants a copy. I will snail mail it to you. My email is [email protected] I got it from a Country Woman magazine March/April 2002 issue.
    Old 07-03-2010, 09:06 AM

I made some valences by taking a row of quilt blocks about 8 or more if need to. I alternated log cabin and pieced hearts. then I added border and casing useing strip of small squares of the same material combination. lined them with muslin backing and they are adorable. I wish I had a camara so I could post them. they are some of favorite curtins ever.
    Old 07-03-2010, 09:11 AM
    Power Poster

I saw one on a German Quilt forum the other day. She used a pretty rod and hung individual patched pieces with tab hangers. The pieces were pointed in a flag-like pattern. Very pretty.
    Old 07-03-2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Roberta
    We just changed rooms around so I can have a more "quilting friendly" area to quilt in. Does anyone know of a pattern for a valance for the top of a window? I'd like something quick and easy.
    Thanks for all the great leads. The two that I had in mind, I know I saw them online someplace but can't find them now, one was pieces of material that looked like fat quarters folded on the diagonal over the rod but I'm not sure if they had a pocket in them for the rod or just put over the rod. The other was the strips of fabric tied to the rod.

I'm design challenged and need to follow a design and my main problem is, I'd love to be able to get them up by Tues. morning when the carpet man comes. Since my material is stacked in boxes all over the house right now I'm limited as to what I can use.

Hot in Maine.
    Old 07-03-2010, 06:03 PM
    Power Poster

PM my sister Oklahoma Suzie. She makes them constantly.

Oops........I actually did not see the word quillted. Sue makes regular valances. I am so sorry.
    Old 07-03-2010, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Roberta
    We just changed rooms around so I can have a more "quilting friendly" area to quilt in. Does anyone know of a pattern for a valance for the top of a window? I'd like something quick and easy.
    I made mine from string blocks that I joined together and backed with muslin...no batting.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-82992.jpe  
    Old 07-04-2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
    PM my sister Oklahoma Suzie. She makes them constantly.

Oops........I actually did not see the word quillted. Sue makes regular valances. I am so sorry.
    I've PM'd her anyway to see what she might have or suggest. I did pick up some quilting theme material at Joann's this morning and may just sew that up quickly.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. One MA person trying to help another MA transplant, life is good.