• Main
  • Quilter's Hubby needs Christmas gift ideas >
  • Quilter's Hubby needs Christmas gift ideas

• Quilter's Hubby needs Christmas gift ideas

Old 12-10-2010, 01:51 PM

my DH stops to buy me precut fabrics and new threads
    Old 12-10-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by qltrzdh
    My wife is a great quilter and a wonderful wife/friend/confidant/support system all rolled into one pretty package.

She's made Christmas quilts, purses, table runners and things I can't even identify.

I need help in chosing a great gift for my favorite quilter. In these troubled times, money is a little tight but I am sure there is enough for something nice. Maybe not a new quilting machine but she already has a big monster that must be 10' long and a Genomie sewing machine to boot. She has enough fabric to quilt Rhode Island and maybe Vermont to boot. So, what is a DH to do?

Is there anything that comes close to being a romantic quilting gift? I want this to be a special Christmas for her. I don't want to buy another set of spark plugs and wrench so she can change them herself again. Hey, a couple of years ago the plugs made her car run better but it hurt when she hit me with the wrench. Oil for her car is out too.

Suggestions please.

Wally
    She may be a member of this board !! if so, please post some suggestions for this great guy. I know gift cert. don't seem too romantic---but a stack of green-all your own--would pack an impact ! time--do something monthly for her that allows her to have some time to herself to do whatever she wants.
    Old 12-10-2010, 04:23 PM

Personally, I like to receive specialty rules that take the math out of making interesting quilt blocks e.g. the lazy angle rule, the X block, the twister, the mini ray etc.etc. These usually come with a pattern book or a set of instructions. If your wife also likes gadgets, perhaps you could give her the rule with instruction book. That way, she can utilise some of the stash that she already has.
    Old 12-10-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Treasureit
    I just thought of something I would like so maybe your wife would too. I little vacuum to clean her machine. I don't know if they make such a thing for machines, but they do for computers so I bet it would work on a machine.
    Yes, this is a very handy suggestion. I bought one at the last quilt show - to clean out my overlocker.(That's what we call a "serger"). It does a great job.
    Old 12-10-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by qltrzdh
    My wife is a great quilter and a wonderful wife/friend/confidant/support system all rolled into one pretty package.

She's made Christmas quilts, purses, table runners and things I can't even identify.

I need help in chosing a great gift for my favorite quilter. In these troubled times, money is a little tight but I am sure there is enough for something nice. Maybe not a new quilting machine but she already has a big monster that must be 10' long and a Genomie sewing machine to boot. She has enough fabric to quilt Rhode Island and maybe Vermont to boot. So, what is a DH to do?

Is there anything that comes close to being a romantic quilting gift? I want this to be a special Christmas for her. I don't want to buy another set of spark plugs and wrench so she can change them herself again. Hey, a couple of years ago the plugs made her car run better but it hurt when she hit me with the wrench. Oil for her car is out too.

Suggestions please.

Wally
    Did you join this quilting board just for help for a Christmas gift? How sweet!!! Just by doing that to find the best gift is a great gift in itself. Whatever you get her will be special to her. My DH always gets me some what he calls "chubby squares" (fat quarters) that go together, a quilt mag. and other quilting items for my stocking. I'm always surprised . Maybe you could get her a quilt mag. and fabric to make a quilt from it. Merry Christmas!! :)
    Old 12-10-2010, 05:28 PM

And how about a subscription to Quilt Mania or Quilting Arts, or some other quilting magazine she doesn't already get. Barnes and Noble and Borders have them. You could always put some GREEN between the pages!!!
    Old 12-10-2010, 05:36 PM

I always get a gift certificate to the local quilt shop and I love that!

Also, we quilters always run through lots of thread a rotary blades. Sneak in her sewing room and see what size rotary cutter she has, and what type of thread she has. Then you can buy her a few of each at the quilt shop when you go get the gift card.

Notice which quilt magazines she gets as a subscription, and pick up some different ones at the quilt shop too.

Many have noted that time is a gift and I concur. My dh cooks dinner once a week and it's such a pleasure to have that extra time. He makes grilled cheese with tomato soup, or Western omelet, sometmes grills burgers and makes salad, nothing fancy. But I feel lucky and pampered as the Queen of England.

Best of luck to you!
    Old 12-10-2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by deedum
    My dh made me a big board ironing board!!! I think it around $30. I love it !!! I love it but I love him even more for taking the time and love to make it for me!!! Romantic in my eyes every time I use it or walk into the room or even think about it! I think of him building it & making it for me, so sweet. Yep, about as special as you can get in my eyes. Here is the link if you like.
    http://www.quiltcampus.net/Library/P...ningBoard.html
    I want to thank you for putting up that site. I have been trying to get my hubby to make me a big board for my ironing board and his excuse was he didn't have a pattern. Well, not anymore. Thanks again!! Happy holidays. What about getting a gift certificate for Connecting Threads. I could find many things I would love from there.
    Old 12-10-2010, 06:14 PM

I know that I would love a gift certificate for thread from Superior Threads for my longarm quilting. They have so many different kinds and colors, that I am sure they would have thread her machine would love! You can never have too much thread!!!
    Old 12-10-2010, 06:25 PM

quilting retreats are very nice.