Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilters Newsletter Subscription >
  • Quilters Newsletter Subscription

• Quilters Newsletter Subscription

Old 07-24-2012, 08:29 AM

Question Quilters Newsletter Subscription

Received in the mail yesterday an offer from QN for home delivery of a full year (6 issues) at 50% discount, so would be $17.97, that makes it only $3 a magazine.... Should I do this, is this magazine worth it....it also does include a digital subscription for searches......
    Will be very interested in everyones thoughts on this perticiliar magazine, I remember my mother had a subscirption to it many, many years ago......is it even worth $3 in todays market...
    Old 07-24-2012, 08:52 AM
    Power Poster

I had a subscription in the 70s, I thought it was worth it, I haven't seen one up close and personal since then. Sounds like a good price.
    Old 07-24-2012, 09:45 AM
    Power Poster

QNM is one of my favorites. I let the subscriptions to most of the other magazines expire, but I kept this one. I would suggest buying the current issue, or borrowing it from a friend, and decide whether you enjoy it.
    Old 07-24-2012, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
    QNM is one of my favorites. I let the subscriptions to most of the other magazines expire, but I kept this one. I would suggest buying the current issue, or borrowing it from a friend, and decide whether you enjoy it.
    You know that is an excellent idea i wonder if I would find it at Walmart, otherwise I will have to travel across town to Joanns....
    Old 07-24-2012, 09:56 AM
    jme

I doubt they have it at walmart, I've never seen them there. Thanks for asking this question. I was wondering about this magazine too. I have several of my grandmother's old mags and this is the one I like best.
    Old 07-24-2012, 10:34 AM

Barnes & Noble would have it also, if there is one closer to you than Joann's. Maybe check other bookstores in your area.

QNM was my favorite for years. I finally let my subscription lapse after not finding much I cared for after an entire year's worth of magazines. I'm not sure if that's because they focused more on stuff that wasn't my style (such as modern and art quilts) or if I've finally been around the block so many times that I stopped finding stuff that interested me. The foreign publications are what I've been reading lately, especially Australian and Japanese publications (the Japanese ones have wonderful, clear illustrations, most of the time I can figure out the process without having to Google Translate the instructions).

Having said that, QNM IS a wonderful magazine.
    Old 07-24-2012, 11:46 AM
    Power Poster

One of the ladies in one of my quilt guilds had an entire collection of QNM from the beginning. She donated them to the guild's rummage/fabric sale, and I bought bunches of them. I also pick them up at the free table at another guild. I love going through the old magazines, seeing what has changed - and what has not.
    Old 07-24-2012, 11:54 AM

Last year I donated to a quilting guild about 10 yrs. of Quilters's Newsletter magazines and various quilting books I had. Did not think I'd ever be doing any quilting again. SURPRISE!!! I am loving it again .... but tend to like all the NEW ways of doing things and all the pre-cuts ..... and I'm so hoping those ladies enjoyed my magazines!!!

jody
    Old 07-24-2012, 01:20 PM

You really need to look at a few before you commit to a subscription. I really like QNM because I learn many different things such as how to do different types of quilting techniques and styles, information on many different things going on in The quilting world, the history behind many aspects of quilting and quilts, articles by quilting personalities and fellow quilters as well as a few patterns. If you're looking for a magazine that is primarily patterns and instructions you may want to look at one of the other great magazines available.
    Old 07-24-2012, 02:08 PM

That's exactly why I like it...the lack of focus on patterns. I recently bought 50 pounds (something like 165 copies) of back issues dating back to issue #1, from a board member here. So very glad I did!! What a wealth of information.