Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilters under the age of 40?? >
  • Quilters under the age of 40??

• Quilters under the age of 40??

Old 01-28-2010, 03:18 AM

I'm 26 and started 2 years ago. Having kids (11,10,5,and 9m) definitely slow you down, but that's what makes life interesting!
    Old 01-28-2010, 04:38 AM

If doing needework makes one an "old lady" - then I have been an "old lady" since I was 12 ----

What's wrong with being an old lady --- I've been looking forward to it all my life!
    Old 01-28-2010, 04:54 AM

I'm 64 but I don't consider myself an old lady yet. A few weeks ago, I suggested on the phone to my 43 year old daughter that she take up quilting since she's an empty nester and her DH is out on the road; well, she told me she wasn't old enough yet. If she'd been within distance, I'd have laid one along side her head! And told her so! lol
    Old 01-28-2010, 05:53 AM

I just turned 48 and have been sewing since Jr. High. As a kid I did all kinds of crafts - liquid and hand embroidery at our local Girls Club... loved that. Tried my hand at crocheting - not so much. Did alot of cross stitching in my 20's and 30's. Began quilting about 8 or 9 years ago, but have REALLY been quilting for about 5 years now. I will never not have a project going - -- I have found my niche in the crafting world. I do everything I can to encourage younger people (my son included) to quilt. I actually taught one friend to quilt via skype!! That was interesting! Her neice is going to school for fashion design and actually came to me when she had questions about the quilt she was making for her mom for Christmas. It was very basic (squares sewn together) but I greatly encouraged her talent and efforts. I hope she makes another one soon! I am thinking about starting a quilt group for some of the younger girls at church. I would hope they would be interested. We'll see.
    Oh - - this has been a fantastic thread to read!!
    Old 01-28-2010, 05:54 AM

Just one more thing - I have never had anyone say to me that quilting is an old lady thing - I have several friends, my age, who quilt together - all from church - maybe they're afraid to say it since there are so many of us !! :)
    Old 01-28-2010, 05:55 AM

I'm almost 27. I haven't been doing it for that long, although I love it. However, I've been crafting since I had hand/eye coordination, so I guess I'm REALLY old!!!! lol!
    I don't think it's an old lady thing. (or an old man thing, Eddie!) I think it's a form of art and love that can span all ages. I would love to quilt with anyone- older or younger, don't care... people with experience and who I can learn all the 'insider' tricks from!
    Old 01-28-2010, 07:05 AM

I'm 38 and have been quilting since my early 20's. My son is a quilter and he's 13! I rely on him for color choices and creative ideas. He's got a good eye for color. Even the owner of our LQS asks his opinion.
    Old 01-28-2010, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by thismomquilts
    I just turned 48 and have been sewing since Jr. High. As a kid I did all kinds of crafts - liquid and hand embroidery at our local Girls Club... loved that. Tried my hand at crocheting - not so much. Did alot of cross stitching in my 20's and 30's. Began quilting about 8 or 9 years ago, but have REALLY been quilting for about 5 years now. I will never not have a project going - -- I have found my niche in the crafting world. I do everything I can to encourage younger people (my son included) to quilt. I actually taught one friend to quilt via skype!! That was interesting! Her neice is going to school for fashion design and actually came to me when she had questions about the quilt she was making for her mom for Christmas. It was very basic (squares sewn together) but I greatly encouraged her talent and efforts. I hope she makes another one soon! I am thinking about starting a quilt group for some of the younger girls at church. I would hope they would be interested. We'll see.
    Oh - - this has been a fantastic thread to read!!
    Oh please teach the young girls at your church. That's how I got started teaching. We need to keep teaching the youg. My newest student is 9 years old.
    Old 01-28-2010, 09:30 AM

I'm 43, and only started last year. However, I *did* have a surprise baby at 41, so he makes me feel young. I don't think anyone's called me an old lady yet!
    Old 01-28-2010, 09:45 AM

I started quilting at the age of 34. Have I really been doing this that long?