Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilters under the age of 40?? >
  • Quilters under the age of 40??

• Quilters under the age of 40??

Old 10-19-2009, 06:02 AM

Isn't that funny how you get this look like your from outerspace but when they want one they are on the phone in two seconds flat. hahahaha
    Old 10-19-2009, 06:28 AM

well i am going on 38 in a couple of weeks , and i have been sewing fer about 10 years i say! i start when i was about 19 but having 3 small kids just didnt have the time then .. but after i had my last baby and i got sewing and aint stop cents.. i go to walmart to get fabric and the older lady looks at me like i dont know what i am doing!and i really get her when i tell her i do it all by hand!.. i loving sewing , and am so glad my daddy got me into it .. and now my 12 year old boy is trying it out .. i hope he stays with it and now my husband he wonts me to teach him and he is in his late 40's ... so wish me luck ladies :roll:
    Old 10-19-2009, 06:35 AM

I made my first quilt at 33, but now I am 40.
    I am lucky because here (Romania) quilting is unknown so nobody tells me I am old !
    Old 10-19-2009, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dix
    Oh my, I am 75 and love life.... I have been quilting for 10 years and my husband is my biggest supporter. He likes to go to quilt shops, because the ladies are always so friendlyl I think it is partly because I spend so much moneyl He bought me the Janome 6600 when it first came out and then shortly after that he bought the Horn table. I love them and my quilting room and him!
    I have children, grandchildren and hopefully within the next year a great grand child.
    I am 75, still wear jeans, travel alot, some over seas and am always on the go. I go to Stamp shows with hubby and goes to quilt shows with me. So, I am the oldest, Do I get the prize?????
    Dix, I love you! Will you be my grandmama!? :D
    Old 10-19-2009, 06:53 AM

This topic has been so fun to read! I will be 38 in about 3 weeks and I have been quilting for about 5 or 6 years so that made me 32ish when I started? I have a 2nd and 3rd grader.

I too have felt very young going to Expos with my quilt guild and such, but then I realize that I am not past the life-stage of having young children and when that passes (all too quickly), I will be one of those "little old ladies" at the Expos and Shows and stuff!

I cna't remember who made the comment about age not making a difference between quilters, we just all enjoy each other....but I just returned from my quilting retreat (I go every 6 mths with the same group of people) and out of the 50 women there, I am the 4th or 5th youngest. There are 2 sisters who are in their late 20s and then a younger women who is probably 24 who has been going with her mom to the retreats since she was 16! There was one scrapbooker there who is in her low 30s.

Obviously, that leaves the rest of the group in their 40s - 80s! The room where we sew is HUGE and the sewing areas are broken up into groups that sew together and bunk together - my group of 5 consists of myself at 38 and the oldest lady is in her mid-70s, which each decade represented and we have the best time. The oldest gal at the retreat is in her 80s! We all get along WONDERFULLY and for those 5 days, we are the best of friends! These ladies have gotten together twice a year for 12 years and they have shared breast cancer, deaths, births, graduations, weddings, divorces, and most of all LAUGHTER through those years...I was blessed enough 6 retreats ago to have joined their ranks and am SO thankful to be apart of this group!!

:D
    Old 10-19-2009, 07:03 AM

I'm 37. I started quilting when I was 21!!!
    Old 10-19-2009, 12:10 PM

Well, I may be the old lady on this board! (I have not read all of them). I had the "honor" of signing up on Medicare today! I will be 65 Nov. 2...I feel more like my 50's fortunately. Been sewing, quilting since I retired from Nursing in 2001. Pretty crafty most of my life.
    Old 10-19-2009, 12:35 PM

Some days I'm young and some days I'm not - or so it seems. Well, if I take an additive approach by adding the digits in age, I'm 7. If I keep them separate, I'm either 16 or 61. Close enough. :lol:
    Old 10-19-2009, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by PuffinGin
    Some days I'm young and some days I'm not - or so it seems. Well, if I take an additive approach by adding the digits in age, I'm 7. If I keep them separate, I'm either 16 or 61. Close enough. :lol:
    I like your thinking, by your method I'm 9 :lol: :lol: And that makes me much younger than 40.
    Old 10-19-2009, 01:05 PM

Golly, I am only 11! Sometimes when I cannot get something right and I get frustrated....I actually act 11 or younger! Just like a big ole baby.