Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilters under the age of 40?? >
  • Quilters under the age of 40??

• Quilters under the age of 40??

Old 10-19-2009, 01:22 PM

I'll be 37 next week. Began quilting almost 20 years ago. I have two sweet boys, ages 3 & 5 and they love to see what I'm working on (when there's time of course, although I always have SOMETHING out at any given time - project, books, designs, fabric, etc.). They have a grandma (Alaskan Lady) and grandpa (not on the board yet) who also quilt.

I think there are lots of folks who think it's a dying art, but I'm proud to be one of those helping to keep it alive for future generations.
    Old 10-19-2009, 02:05 PM
    Power Poster

I was 40 once...does that count (coz I was quilting then)? lol
    Old 10-19-2009, 03:20 PM

gosh, I just love this topic. I have been quilting since Dec 2006, I am past that 40 mark,,,, when I asked my mom to show me how to start quilting she stated that I was too young to sit home and quilt. I hand embroidered at the rip old age of 4, sewed doll clothes, crocheted, made my kids clothes, and now all of a sudden I was too young to quilt. I say NOT, I only wish I had started earlier. This is just a great hobby, (obsession), all you guys are great... all you young ones... enjoy and never give up the craft.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:49 PM

OK, I am 55 now, but took a needle in hand for the first time when I was 10. My mother didn't do any of this sort of stuff and saw it as a waste of time. Her hobby was he soap operas. I took my first quilting class around 30 and made my first quilt a couple of years later.
    Why would I care what quilting made me look like? If you can judge by today's standards I am very out of the loop cause I don't watch sports or Dancing With the Stars or go to movies. I am entertained and I have something to show in the end, what more could you ask for?
    Old 10-19-2009, 05:41 PM

I'm 28 and have been quilting for 7 years.

Many of my friends (who knit and make other crafts) think it's an old ladies hobby. I think part of the reason is b/c they only see quilt patterns that have been used for decades (even centuries). Once I show them some of the modern style quilts and old patterns in hip new fabrics, they immediately say "wow! that's cool!".
    Old 10-19-2009, 07:34 PM

My daughter is 20 and starting quilting when our Girl Scout troop hand quilted a double for a soldier's widow. She was about 15. She loved it! Particularly picking out the patterns and fabric. She is currently working on her fourth quilt.
    Old 10-19-2009, 10:51 PM

I am 39,so I quess I qualify, I have been quilting for several yrs and have always had something going, painting,crafts, clothes sewing, embroidery but quilting has continued to pull me further and deeper in and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon.(It's my down time once the kids are in bed. I find that I have more in common with ladies that are older than me,(even though I have 4 kids under the age of 12) than with people my age,I love to see their quilts and hear their stories and the struggles that they weathered and the wisdom they gained,when friends comment Aren't you to young to quilt?I just come back with Life is to short,do what you love while you can. In the ladies stories they also talk of a little regret or loss ( when I retire, when the kids are older,I can't see to thread the needle anymore, I have arthritis in my hands now .Sew I don't want to wait til my eyes or hands or health fail me. My siblings and I used to tease our mother when she struggled to thread her needles and now I don't see those "eyes" like I did when I was twenty.My DD has recently gotten hooked on quilting and thinks its COOL, so if we continue to introduce the younger ones , I don't think it will be a dying art and they will continue to improve/shortcuts in the craft, look what's happened in the last 20yrs!
    Old 10-19-2009, 11:26 PM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by amazon
    My DD has recently gotten hooked on quilting and thinks its COOL, so if we continue to introduce the younger ones , I don't think it will be a dying art and they will continue to improve/shortcuts in the craft, look what's happened in the last 20yrs!
    Yup I agree - plus the art quilt phenomonen, pushes the boundaries of what can be done with our craft and entices a whole new young group of quilters. I must say, a lot of the contemporary stuff goes a little over my head, I would have said I prefer the traditional, although my boundaries have been pushed a LOT since I joined the board. I'm 44 BTW and have been sewing/knitting/crafting in one way or another since my Granny first put a needle in my hand aged 9. And I have two kids aged 7 (boy) and 5 (girl) - Joey has made his first doll quilt and Lily is working on a needlepoint picture. I don't force them into it but of course they want to do what Momma does. I think our craft is safe. It may evolve - it IS evolving, but it'll never die. :D
    Old 10-20-2009, 04:24 AM

Amazon.....your comments about waiting until one has time, or after I get this done, etc really hit home for me. My mom sewed all her life and her "dream" was to quilt when she retired. She saved all her fabric scraps for 40+ years. She never did get to make a quilt and now at age 90, her eyesight and other health issues will keep her from doing so. My dad did make many quilts after he retired....the first one, he thought he would just help mom out by cutting the pieces. Then when mom's plate was still too full he started putting some pieces together. Bottom line, my mom only got to help with placement of the blocks. During my dads' 30 years of retirement he made on average two quilts a year. So I am thinking your are so right,......follow your dreams and do what you want now....no matter what it takes to make it happen, and don't listen to the nay sayers.
    Old 10-20-2009, 04:55 AM

I'm almost 32 and started sewing when I was 15. You are never too old or too young to start!