• The Quilting of the Basket....progress update- pg. 10

Old 07-12-2011, 11:23 PM

That is gorgeous. :thumbup: :mrgreen:
    Old 07-13-2011, 02:11 AM

Beautiful quilt!
    Old 07-13-2011, 02:26 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

How about this Patti? I think each braid needs to be emphasised and also become a trailing vine type thingy (technical term) so I like the idea of echoing the leaf applique. If you work them like I've drawn (badly - sorry, I know you quilt better than I draw! :-D ), then it works within the braid and, by using the adjacent leaves as a point to hit, you get a secondary trailing effect between the braids? With a bit of backtracking here and there, you can get round with no tails I think. If it were me, I'd backtrack the veins to make them stand out a bit more. :-D
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-225616.jpe  
    Old 07-13-2011, 03:13 AM

Wow!!! Beautiful quilt and quilting!
    Old 07-13-2011, 05:55 AM
    Power Poster

Thanks everyone!

K...wow..hmmmm....I need to draw that on my plastic on the border. You have a chevron drawn and it looks great on that...but this has the starts and stops of a braid..might still look good. I started the STID yesterday and took out more than I got done. The back is misbehaving. Today I'll sit it down and give it a good talking to before I get started. Your idea would be more dense in the quilting than just doing the curved dips 1/4" from the patch. I think the decision is between the woven basket look and the leafy vine look. Geesh....I need more than this 1/2 cuppa coffee to make this decsision! Thanks for taking so much time to think about it!
    Old 07-13-2011, 07:01 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
    Thanks everyone!

K...wow..hmmmm....I need to draw that on my plastic on the border. You have a chevron drawn and it looks great on that...but this has the starts and stops of a braid..might still look good. I started the STID yesterday and took out more than I got done. The back is misbehaving. Today I'll sit it down and give it a good talking to before I get started. Your idea would be more dense in the quilting than just doing the curved dips 1/4" from the patch. I think the decision is between the woven basket look and the leafy vine look. Geesh....I need more than this 1/2 cuppa coffee to make this decsision! Thanks for taking so much time to think about it!
    I was ignoring the seam in the braid as if it were a chevron. :mrgreen:

Give it a good southern-style whuppin' before tackling it again. :lol:
    Old 07-13-2011, 07:10 AM
    RDM

Absolutely beautiful, the quilt and your quilting. I'm not great w FMQ, but what if you copy in quilting the appliqued leaf/vine in that border, and maybe in the plain corner blocks quilt a flower shape like whats in your basket. IMO something curvy in that border would work well against the ladder. It'd be good to have similar quilting density as what you've already done through out the quilt.
    Old 07-13-2011, 10:54 AM
    Power Poster

....(huffing and puffing, but I made it here...), and you had to come see what the comment was just for me to tell you how gorgeous it is, but no ideas of my own.
    I love Elle's cable suggestion and me, personally, I do like k's idea of the thingies-on-not-chevron's, lol,...bc it soften's all the angular lines a bit.
    aside from that: HOLY MOLY, BATMAN!!!
    That is so awesome and Patti...one more time...beautiful quilting and on your DSM?
    praises be, you give me hope...how about lessons, lol? :XD:
    Old 07-13-2011, 04:15 PM
    Power Poster

Well...I'm totally disgusted at this point. I worked on it today and I knew I didn't like my plan when I started so what do I do???? What, you ask??? Of course, I did an entire side...just to make darn sure I was doing something I DO NOT like! Geesh....out comes the seam ripper tonight and on to plan B.

K...I know you are ignoring and forcing the chevron...but something makes it look weird..besides the fact that I've already SITD around all those braid pieces..:roll:...I could smack mayself in the head or worse!!
    Old 07-13-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
    Well...I'm totally disgusted at this point. I worked on it today and I knew I didn't like my plan when I started so what do I do???? What, you ask??? Of course, I did an entire side...just to make darn sure I was doing something I DO NOT like! Geesh....out comes the seam ripper tonight and on to plan B.

K...I know you are ignoring and forcing the chevron...but something makes it look weird..besides the fact that I've already SITD around all those braid pieces..:roll:...I could smack mayself in the head or worse!!
    Smacking yourself is not allowed. This is beautiful! Work on something easy and mindless for a little while and something will probably pop up. :thumbup: