Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting Books and the Size of the Quilts in Them >
  • Quilting Books and the Size of the Quilts in Them

• Quilting Books and the Size of the Quilts in Them

Old 11-03-2012, 07:03 AM

it doesn't really cover well, unless you happen to be one of my grandbabies, or you use it to put over your knees as you sit in a chair. For me then, it is a waste of my time and money for the fabric because the quilt will just sit folded up and not be used.

I'm with you. Our quilt club has a challenge each year. The rules said it can be no bigger than 120 inches around the perimeter. I think the reason for that was that we have our show in an old school, and at that time we were having a hard time finding a place to hang more large quilts. I have enough wall hangings and lap robes. This year I got on the committee and we changed that. Now we can make a quilt of any size. If we get too many big quilts, we can display them partially folded. They are judged before the show, so not one needs to vote on them at the show.
    Old 11-03-2012, 07:29 AM

Amen! It irrates me no end when I see a pattern I like and they only give directions or yardages for lap quilts. I know I can add borders or more blocks but some patterns just don't look right that way. I've gotten to where I look to see if there are instructions and yardages for queen/king quiltss before I buy a pattern. Otherwise it's a waste of money.
    Old 11-03-2012, 07:35 AM

To enlarge a block pattern: take the measurements of each piece and subtract 1/2" (seam allowances). Double the size of the cut piece and add 1/2" to that measurement. Then, do your piecing. Here is an example: it says to cut a square 2 1/2". Subtract off the 1/2" for seam allowances and you have 2". Double that to 4"....add the 1/2" back in....and you would cut at 4 1/2".

To "pint size" a block, do just the opposite: take the 1/2" off the cut size. Divide the block size in half....add the 1/2" back in and there is your new cut size. Example: The same 2 1/2" square would be 1 1/2".
    Old 11-03-2012, 07:37 AM

Another way to enlarge a quilt is by adding interesting pieced borders. There are several great quilting books out there that help. Other ideas for pieced "interesting" borders: hourglass blocks, half-square triangles, piano keys, checkerboard, ribbons, flying geese, smaller squares similar to those in the quilt....or just add a wide border with applique! I never follow a pattern exactly.
    Old 11-03-2012, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by snipforfun
    My favorite book for large quilts with perfect instructions.

Tradition With A Twist by Blanche Young
    Absolutely LOVE this book!
    Old 11-03-2012, 09:05 AM

This is one of my pet peeves too. Since I am math challenged I always have trouble with pattern enlargement and hate the look of quilts which just have multiple borders logged on. It also seems like I am always off by the amount of fabric I've purchased when I try to tweek a pattern. Right now I feel like my ability has to catch up with what my eye can see and brain can conceive. I've been really disappointed with results lately. That's not me just being too picky. I think it's a matter of learning curve.
    Old 11-03-2012, 09:08 AM

I am in the opposite position. I do not have room for a lot of large sized quilts. I find myself trying to cut patterns down. But complaining to each other only consoles. How about giving some feedback to designers, authors and publishers? We are their audience and their source of income.

Last edited by alwayslearning; 11-03-2012 at 09:10 AM. Reason: punctuation
    Old 11-03-2012, 12:09 PM

I think if you go to Ludlow Quilt&Sew (Rose ) she can tell and show you how to make a large quilt in sections and how to put it together as one. Found it interesting.
    Old 11-03-2012, 12:12 PM

I have noticed that. It does make it a bit more difficult to make a different size quilt. So I either make the blocks bigger or add columns and rows. I estimate the fabric needed.
    Old 11-03-2012, 01:34 PM

The problem I have with a lot of patterns is that they don't always tell you the size of the finished block. The main block is always given, but if you're making a block that is supposed to be 16" finished, the smaller blocks that make up this block aren't given a finished size. I know I should be able to figure it out, but I'd rather it was given to me. I just finished a Jack's Chain quilt and the instructions were incorrect. I had to sit and figure out what size one of the blocks needed to be in order to get that triangle to fit. I managed to finish it and it looks nice, but it was a lot more work than it needed to be. Since my 1/4 inch seams aren't always right on, I like to make my blocks a little larger and trim them to size. (When this is feasible)
    Wow! I guess I just ranted, too! I hope there might be a few authors out there reading our comments, and take heed to a few suggestions.
    Gerry