Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting Books >
  • Quilting Books

• Quilting Books

Old 06-20-2014, 11:17 AM

Default Quilting Books

Does anyone recommend any books with some good beginner/intermediate patterns? Thanks
    Old 06-20-2014, 11:35 AM

Rather than getting a book, try going to Quilterscache.com and look through the patterns there. There is alot to choose from, and they are 'pinned' beginner, intermediate and advanced. Directions are included with each pattern block and they are FREE!
    Old 06-20-2014, 12:51 PM
    Power Poster

Eleanor Burns books are always great patterns. Love her 25th Anniversary book. Used JAF coupon and saved.
    Old 06-20-2014, 12:58 PM

I recommend the series by Harriet Hargrave -- Quilter's Academy. So far 4 books have been printed with the 5th out next year. These books take you from beginner quilting to designing your own quilts.
    Old 06-20-2014, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7
    I recommend the series by Harriet Hargrave -- Quilter's Academy. So far 4 books have been printed with the 5th out next year. These books take you from beginner quilting to designing your own quilts.
    Strongly agree with this recommendation. Harriet walks you carefully through the process of learning to piece. For quilting your top, I recommend Harriet Hargrave's Heirloom Machine Quilting.

Cheers, K
    Old 06-20-2014, 02:56 PM

My personal favorite is the 100 Blocks magazines and the followup quilts made from them.
    Old 06-20-2014, 04:02 PM
    Power Poster

i love Eleanor Burns' Egg Money Quilts
    Old 06-20-2014, 05:36 PM

I agree that Harriet H. is great for learning the craft.

As for patterns, look around at LQS's and see what classes they offer. If you see a quilt you love, you will finish it, no matter how difficult.
    Old 06-20-2014, 09:13 PM

Both Eleanor Burns and Harriet Hargrave are great. I would also recommend Fons and Porter's, The Joy of Quilting. Beginner classes at a LQS are great and there is someone right there to give hands-on help. In addition Burns and F&P have very helpful videos on their websites. It's good to look at several books. Might try the library before you buy. All these people have different techniques and ways of doing things. Try different ideas and techniques to see what suits you.
    Old 06-22-2014, 03:33 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
    Rather than getting a book, try going to Quilterscache.com and look through the patterns there. There is alot to choose from, and they are 'pinned' beginner, intermediate and advanced. Directions are included with each pattern block and they are FREE!
    I agree with you 100%. Have been using Quilter's Cache for years. I print out the pattern and then I have it forever. I also write down on the pattern what quilt it went on (if it was a sampler) and who it was for and the date. I have three notebooks with the patterns in them. When I plan a new Sampler, I go through the book and pick out what jumps out at me. I prefer the 12" blocks and they are easy to work, and I really enjoy this. Besides which, when you open a book, it almost always closes up again. When you print out the Q.C. patterns, they lay nice and flat.

I have the books from my mother's collection of patterns. I look through them and drool, but I have found the Quilter's Cache to be the easiest and neatest way to do the "job"! Edie