Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting on a budget... >
  • Quilting on a budget...

• Quilting on a budget...

Old 04-01-2018, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by coopah
    Some of the older tablecloths are cottoBe on the look out for them at thrift stores, yard sales, etc. They are lovely for backings. Nobody seems to want them, so they are foldable.
    Sam's Club used to sell these huge thick white tablecloths, I don't know if they still do, but I used to know people that would use that fabric for things besides tablecloths.
    Old 04-01-2018, 10:49 PM

I don't have a large stash -- most of the fabric I have is either garment fabric, or fabric my cousin gave me (before she passed away), so when I make a quilt (and the number I've made is fairly small) I purchase the fabric for the quilt before I start cutting. I don't buy expensive fabric -- it's just not in my budget -- but I've found really lovely fabric (Marshall's online), and I save coupons. I don't piece backs unless I have no other choice. Also, I buy wide muslin (usually at 60% off), which I can purchase for about $20 (118" wide), and it saves a lot of the "pain in the neck syndrome". I've only been quilting for a few years, but I've made two queen-size +, two king-size + and one really giant-size (with very light batting) for a bed spread for myself, and several baby quilts. I don't do a whole lot of shopping (due to spinal issues) and my time at the sewing machine is limited for the same reason. There is no way I could ever afford to spend $20 and up per yard for fabric.
    Old 04-02-2018, 01:44 AM

In my area at least, the thrift stores send most of their craft items to a single store. So there is one I go to whenever I’m in town. They have a full aisle of misc. fabric for about $1.50 a yard. I make sure I tell them that their craft section is the reason I shop there. I want them to keep it going.
    I learned about their sorting policy when I was shopping for scrubs and was told which location they send the scrubs to. It’s worth asking if they do something similar in your area.
    Old 04-02-2018, 05:46 PM

I just bought a beautiful Jelly roll at Tuesday Morning for 19.00. Checked online and its 38.00. Hoping to try my first bargello with it.
    Old 04-03-2018, 07:05 AM

I buy a lot of fabric after the holiday. It is the only way to produce products for sale and make a profit. Yesterday I purchased a great deal of 'generic' easter fabric - pastel zigzags, dotted fabric, tone on tones. At 60% off, the $9.99 fabric is only $4 and many of the 'generic' fabrics were only $6.99, making them $2.80 per yard. Add in a $5 or $10 off total or a teacher discount or a senior day discount - and you have a super bargain. These fabrics can be used for all sorts of springtime or baby items (although I did purchase quite a few actual bunny fabrics to put away for next easter's stuff). I can not remember when I have paid more than $5 for any fabric to use for product (other than a personal gift). I do the same thing with interfacing, web, batting and items for backing. Joanns has started varying discounts on so many cottons - orange tag, green tag, purple tag - some outrageous deals. I found one that the backside was soft and muted and looked great for a backing - 90% off!!!!! It takes a bit of thinking and planning, but I can make lap size and throw size quilts and sell them at a profit! I sell a tremendous number of fold 'n stitch wreaths for $24 each. They cost $3.50 to make and take approximately one hour - pretty good profit!
    Old 04-03-2018, 11:22 AM
    Power Poster

I machine quilt all my quilts. It's not fancy but it's pretty. I do all straight line quilting with a walking foot. I can get some pretty neat designs using a straight stitch. I learned how to do Quilt as You Go and make it look like a whole quilt. I started with orphan blocks until I was pleased with the result. Machine quilting doesn't have to be hard or mysterious. You want to sew three layers together, that's all you have to do.
    Old 04-03-2018, 02:33 PM

Quilt more, shop less.
    Old 04-03-2018, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Faintly Artistic
    Quilt more, shop less.
    That's a good one!! I need to do that more often!
    Old 04-03-2018, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Faintly Artistic
    Quilt more, shop less.
    YES! I will repeat this advise every time I even think about adding more fabric to the stash.

Thanks for posting this for a needy fabricholic.
    Old 04-03-2018, 07:04 PM

I get newsletters from many online shops to tell me about good sales, I go to GoodWill & repurpose sheets, etcetera & Thrift Shops. You can repurpose cotton clothing too. Connecting Threads often has batting sales & I buy enough to get free shipping. I also use cutting mats from the dollar store for templates vs specialty rulers. The cutting mats are $1.00 for two or sometimes 3 mats. These are my thrifty tips for quilting on a budget. I hope it helps others.