Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting with Denim Question >
  • Quilting with Denim Question

• Quilting with Denim Question

Old 07-24-2020, 09:21 AM

Here's a good tutorial on Missouri Star Quilt Co. that shows how to make circle quilts. They showed 3 different ways to use that Circle Magic Template & Natalie showed how to make a quilt using denim. She didn't put any interfacing between the front & back layers.

https://quiltingtutorials.com/tutori...-missouri-star
    Old 07-24-2020, 09:52 AM

These denim faux cathedral window rag quilts are fun to do.

I've used both regular cotton fabric and pre-washed flannel with the denim. All were heavy, and easier to do in sections as Tartan says. And I agree with all above: denim needle, longer stitch, slower speed, and definitely a half inch seam allowance.

Also, I just had to spice up the back a bit. It's fun to add in a random back pocket here or there.

And, I tried using multi colored, decorative metallic thread in the bobbin. I loved the look on the back of the quilt, but had to deal with bobbin thread breakage quite a bit. Still, I did really like the look on the back.

Ric rac is a fun thing to add to the back, and lace is fun too. Buttons are fun, and I also played with my denim rivet pliers, and added rivets. There are so many different directions you can go with your project.
    Have fun!

Last edited by mindless; 07-24-2020 at 09:54 AM.
    Old 07-24-2020, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by osewme
    Here's a good tutorial on Missouri Star Quilt Co. that shows how to make circle quilts. They showed 3 different ways to use that Circle Magic Template & Natalie showed how to make a quilt using denim. She didn't put any interfacing between the front & back layers.

https://quiltingtutorials.com/tutori...-missouri-star
    I saw that tutorial, that's where the idea came from, lol. Love Missouri Star Quilt Co!
    Old 07-24-2020, 03:17 PM

I made one of these quilts using old blue jeans and gingham, and a homemade template, so your bandanna print is perfect. I just used a size 16 needle and a good thread like a TEX 40. I used a high loft batting and cut just one circle with jean and a square of gingham. However, I didn't want mine to fray so I satin stitched all around. Yes, I did and it took a lot of thread because it was queen sized. I would not make another with batting, unless it was something thin. It makes for a very heavy quilt. If you make your own template and want to use double circles, one of jean one of bandanna then make you one slit on your template, between one of the straight square edges and the curve of the circle.
    Attached Thumbnails dsc06083.jpg-email.jpg   email.jpg   dsc08534-w-3.jpg   dsc08515.jpg   dsc08517.jpg  

Old 07-25-2020, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by toogie
    I made one of these quilts using old blue jeans and gingham, and a homemade template, so your bandanna print is perfect. I just used a size 16 needle and a good thread like a TEX 40. I used a high loft batting and cut just one circle with jean and a square of gingham. However, I didn't want mine to fray so I satin stitched all around. Yes, I did and it took a lot of thread because it was queen sized. I would not make another with batting, unless it was something thin. It makes for a very heavy quilt. If you make your own template and want to use double circles, one of jean one of bandanna then make you one slit on your template, between one of the straight square edges and the curve of the circle.
    Oh my gosh, toogie, that looks amazing and I definitely love that satin stitch with it! I hadn't planned on using batting with mine, I'm glad that I was right in my thought that it's going to be heavy enough with the denim. I'm going to let mine fray, I just love how it makes it look. Beautiful quilt, though!