Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting with Flannel >
  • Quilting with Flannel

• Quilting with Flannel

Old 03-21-2012, 06:36 AM

I have usually prewashed my flannel, but am finding that the better stuff really doesn't shrink like the less expensive fabric does. Also, depending on the quilting, the shrinking seems to be minimal. I use a lot for charity quilts and I also like to back quilts with the flannel...it is warm and cozy. As for batting, I use it......depending on where it's going to be used and who is going to use it, I vary the type of batting. I've used anything from 6 oz. poly batt to the really thin Thermore. I think the quilting shows up better with some sort of batt......JMHO....
    Old 03-21-2012, 06:48 AM

Moda has wonderful flannel. It's may favorite. A little more pricey but the end result is worth it. My advise is don't mix lines. I try to stay within the same fabric line. The shrinkage is more uniform then. I don't prewash unless it is a rag quilt. I like to give the quilt/blanket with the feel of newness.
    Old 03-21-2012, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by silver queen
    Moda has wonderful flannel. It's may favorite. A little more pricey but the end result is worth it. My advise is don't mix lines. I try to stay within the same fabric line. The shrinkage is more uniform then. I don't prewash unless it is a rag quilt. I like to give the quilt/blanket with the feel of newness.
    I agree....I use the Moda flannels whenever I can. Definitely prefer to feel the fabric I use, so don't order flannel online.
    Old 03-21-2012, 07:02 AM

Thanks for posting this question, I love the feel of flannel and am glad to see so many responses as to where you can get good quality flannel & not break the budget.
    Old 03-21-2012, 07:02 AM

I don't wash my flannel till after the quilt is done. But I find that flannel streches while working with it.
    I also find that I need to clean my machine after working with flannel. Other than that I have had no
    problems with flannel.
    Old 03-21-2012, 08:12 AM

I have done four rag quilts this winter and used Joann's flannel for all of them and didn't have a problem with any of them. Not after washing and dryer. I wonder why the differences? All Joann's have to get there flannel from the same supplier right?
    Old 03-21-2012, 09:34 AM

i would definatly wash it first in at least warm water because it will shrink up a lot i have also been told (dont know if this is true) but when working with flannel use a 1/2 in seam, i was also told that the cheaper flannel will pill on you
    Old 03-21-2012, 10:16 AM

I have used name brand flannel (e.g. Robert Kauffman) purchased at fabric.com. Their prices are good. I am not so happy with Joann's flannel.
    Old 03-21-2012, 10:46 AM

I have been sewing and quilting for over 40 years and the quality of fabrics has really changed during that time. Flannel has always shrunk more than regular cotton, it also makes a bulkier seam so heavey piecing is not recommended. I prefer to use my flannel on the back of my quilts since it is so nice and snuggley. Yes for rag quilts never pre wash your flannel since part of the look comes from the shrinking as well as the fraying of the fabric. Try experiment since doing is the best teaching available. I love to incorporate different textures in my quilts using not only cottons but corduroy, silk, homespun, polar fleece, so touch and feel are important to me. The only way I know to learn this is by doing some things will work and others not so good gut remember if you are combining fabric weights interfacing can be your best friend.
    Old 03-21-2012, 11:00 AM

Flannel from any maker can have issues with piling, shrinkage, wonkiness. I liked connecting threads flannel, but this winter a few of them really pilled. Next time I would wash them in a pillow case, on delicate, another suggestion from a friend was to fill up the washing machine, agitate once or twice (fabric isn't dirty,), spin dry to limit the piling. I only pre dry in the dryer because when they air dry, the flannel seems easier to iron. I have washed enough flannel for my 10 donation quilts to make me convinced that I will never again use flannel. Some from Joann's were excellent, some pilled so bad that I am using them as batting. A couple got so wonky that I fumed all the time pressing them (I am the uber iron disliker). I have a couple of yards of older Moda flannel in my stash, for another year.