Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is quilting in general a dying art? >
  • Is quilting in general a dying art?

• Is quilting in general a dying art?

Old 09-25-2010, 07:28 PM

judging by how fast this Board has grown over the past few months, it's not a dying art! I used to feel like I knew everyonw who was posting. Now I feel like there's a dozen more people to get to know every day. That's a GOOD thing thoughLOLOLOLOLOL :lol: :lol:
    Old 09-25-2010, 08:42 PM

I saw the results of that survey also. However as an educator who has been working with the younger generations since 1975 I can tell you younger quilters are from generations that don't do surveys. This is not their medium of communication so I think the results are a little off. They are quilting and involved in all of the fiber arts, but they don't communicate in the same way. They also as a whole won't identify with the current "quilt show" way of display and competition. Got to get younger minds expanding this area to be more inclusive. Not saying I know how to do this, just that this is the reality.
    Old 09-26-2010, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by grammyp
    I think quilting is a changing art. I see more and more people quilting, but they seem to be making more art quilts and wall hangings than bed or utility quilts. Like all other crafts it comes and goes. I know personally I drift from one hobby to another from time to time. I do hope hand crafts of all kinds will be making a come back. I think it is important to know how to create and maintain items for our home and family.
    I agree. I, too, am involved in many types of hand crafts; however, I am a devoted quilter.
    Old 09-26-2010, 08:20 AM

I sure hope not, it would very sad if quilting and in fact any crafts that let you use you imagination were to die out. I tell all my younger neighbors and friends about quilting and encourage them to visit me to see how relaxing and fun it is. I guess it the whole saying of what goes around comes around some things go out of favor and then in a few years it is back. I will keep spreading the word.
    Old 09-26-2010, 04:13 PM

Maybe I just lucked in, but almost all of the people I know around here quilt. Young people are learning too so maybe people will swing around to handwork and creating nice things. Women just like to pretty up things, look at the tea towels and such in the old times.
    Old 09-26-2010, 04:27 PM

Art forms seem to have trends just like the types of TV shows we watch and the topics of books that are written. I don't want to see quilting become a dying art form. It's a tradition that needs to be passed along just like knitting or crochet. There won't be quilters unless we keep the younger generation interested. Train up a child...
    Old 09-26-2010, 04:37 PM

I think it's hugely popular here in Minnesota. With our long winters, we have lots of time indoors to make quilts. I still work on them in other months, tho, too, year round actually.
    Old 09-26-2010, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu
    I doubt it - there are 380 people on this website right now!
    This has been my obversation in my world, too. Our quilt grp. in Ariz.where I spend the winter started with just 3 or 4 people but now the whole clubhouse is taken up with quilters every Wed. That doesn't even count the people who work at their own homes instead of carrying all of their stuff to the clubhouse. The sound of buzzing machines & women's chatter is quilte a site. I think it's a fluorishing craft.
    Old 09-29-2010, 11:32 AM
    Power Poster

when i first started at 7 in 1966 i think it was. it took off around here in 1976 (the bi centennial) that's when i really strated making them alot for everyone, and haven't stopped since then. i'm over 300 now, close to 350, with over 150 as donations to charities.
    Old 09-29-2010, 11:37 AM

Quilting is coming back, yes, my belief is that most of us Baby Boomers are now retired, empty nests or widows and reaching back to a slower time. We now have time to sew, quilt and teach younger people in the family. It is suprising to find that many younger people 12 - 40 years old will get the bug if someone introduces them to the joy of creating with fabric. Take someone to a local quilt show that will inspire an interest, then a class they are hooked.