Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting by hand? >
  • Quilting by hand?

• Quilting by hand?

Old 06-19-2013, 08:38 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2
    Why bother handquilting if your work is going to be hidden in the seam. I usually quilt about a 1/4 inch on either side of the piecing seams. It reinforces your work and makes the piecing "pop". I also have a large collection of stencils that I use to mark the larger areas. It is the "quilting" that makes it a quilt so why not show it off.
    I agree whole heartedly. I used 1/4" painters tape laid next to the seam and quilted right next to that. After a while I could pretty much guage the 1/4" by eye but the tape helps you to keep it nice and straight. Why go to all that work if your stitching won't even show. Come away from the ditch a bit and I bet you will be well pleased with the result.
    Old 06-19-2013, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2
    I have been a handquilter for at least 40 years. The only time I SID is if I a handquilting a cheater's cloth piece. Why bother handquilting if your work is going to be hidden in the seam. I usually quilt about a 1/4 inch on either side of the piecing seams. It reinforces your work and makes the piecing "pop". I also have a large collection of stencils that I use to mark the larger areas. It is the "quilting" that makes it a quilt so why not show it off.
    This is pretty much my take on hand quilting. I have never done stitch in the ditch. Also use the 1/4 in on either side of seam, and stencils for larger areas. This works for me, but may not for you. Try a couple samples and enjoy.