Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting injury >
  • Quilting injury

• Quilting injury

Old 08-24-2011, 11:51 AM

If you can't lower the table, raise the chair. Set it on several layers of rug or whatever works. I have one of those swival office chairs I got for a really good price at Stapels. I also have a plastic storage box that is the same height as my foot pedal to rest my oppostie foot on. Having everything balanced helps. It is holding parts of your body in a twisted position that does the damage.
    Old 08-24-2011, 05:16 PM

Four paws, the backpack is adjusted so the weights are against my back just above my waist. That keeps me from rounding my shoulders as I move the quilt around. Obviously, I can't lean back against the chair, but I never do that on a chair anyhow. My chair is raised somewhat, but I may be at a slight advantage quilting on a vintage slant needle machine. It's much easier to see your work.
    Old 08-25-2011, 03:31 AM

My machine is on a card table. Had the same problem so I got a bar stool. Much better.
    Old 08-25-2011, 03:42 AM

It is so possible to damage the body doing hand work too. I sewed a queen grandmother's flower garden quilt and damaged both my hands. It has been months and the tendons in the left hand (holding hand) are still painful. Doctor is not much help. In fact, I was so mad at her, I am thinking of changing doctors.

After a retreat, it took over a week to get over the pain. The neck and back revolted and let me know how unhappy they were. I must have been ignoring them the whole week. Thought I had stopped enough but the bad chair and height must have been worse than I thought. Next time I am bringing my own chair.

I am going to try some of these remedies.
    Old 08-25-2011, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
    A student's backpack with two pound weights in it has made my thoracic region much happier while FMQ. I had the weights, otherwise I'd gone outside and picked up some rocks. The backpack was 25 cents at a garage sale.
    Could also throw in a couple of canned veggies - 16 oz cans. I wanted to start lifting weights and didn't want to spend a lot of money on equipment I didn't use, so I started with 16 oz cans and graduated up to 8 pound milk jugs. Then I decided I was going to keep lifting weights and bought a set of barbells.
    Old 08-25-2011, 03:55 AM

don't mean to be dumb but how do you reach the foot pedal and how do you see....maybe I need glasses. But going to try to raise my chair higher...my neck and back hurt all the time.
    Old 08-25-2011, 04:02 AM

put your footpeddle up on a box or anything sturdy to raise it up. I forget to raise my other foot, don't remember who mentioned to do that.

Originally Posted by sumcoop
    don't mean to be dumb but how do you reach the foot pedal and how do you see....maybe I need glasses. But going to try to raise my chair higher...my neck and back hurt all the time.
    Old 08-25-2011, 04:10 AM

I sew on an old typewriter rolling stand fom Wal Mart; doubt that they are on the market today and adjustable chair as high as it will go (I am 5 foot eight in height and have taller than average legs). Most chairs sit too low.

Have not tried to quilt on my Bernina, but I just might after reading hints from the QB site. Love sewing with my Bernina.
    Old 08-25-2011, 04:21 AM

I have neck and back issues also and try to take breaks more often. The other week my chiropractor told me to drink lots more water because my neck and back were really rigid. I'm not a water drinker but make myself drink it or flavored water.
    Old 08-25-2011, 04:35 AM

When you are sitting in a chair, the top of your MACHINE,(not your table) should be level with your arms bent at a 90 degree angle..you either need to set your machine down into your table, or lower your table to accomplish this, but it will make a world of difference...also...the rule of thumb is that for every decade of age you reach over 40, you will need 20% more light on your work...if you can't see well enough, it will cause you to hunch forward toward your work no matter what height the machine is! Also..remember to get up and walk around every so often...when you have to stop to change thread colors or a bobbin is always a good time because you have stopped anyway...so get up and stretch and bend and walk around a bit...it all helps.