Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting injury >
  • Quilting injury

• Quilting injury

Old 08-25-2011, 04:43 AM

Interesting thread! Seems to me I just have to live with this as I need to hunch over to see what is going on with the machine. I've also tried a mesh lumbar support device that I bought at Dollar Tree. Absolutely love it. I have one in my sewing chair and another that I use on the sofa when I'm hand quilting. Lots better than a pillow and for only one dollar!! Some people use these in their computer chairs and they would be great in the car if you are on a long trip. I haven't seen these in any other of the dollar-type stores.
    Old 08-25-2011, 04:43 AM

good comeback !!! Try getting up once in awhile and stretching
    Old 08-25-2011, 04:56 AM

I had issues with machine too high on my table and sewing cabinet I have from the 60's doesn't work for my machine now... so... I had my DH cut the hole larger , move more to the right also, and mount a board for a shelf inside to hold my machine... then to cover gap left we bought a piece of plexyglass and cut a perfect whole for machine... drops right in... works great without buying new cabinet...
    Old 08-25-2011, 05:00 AM

I bought my self one of those architect chairs - they are higher than regular desk chairs. and it works great
    Old 08-25-2011, 05:08 AM

I'm tall (5'8") and my sewing machine sits on an old dining room table and I use an office chair. If I sit on pillows with the chair as high as it will go to try to get my arms at the correct angle, I can't see as well. If I sit so I can see, my arms are about chin level LOL. Maybe I just need to try to get my arms in a good position and learn to live with seeing the needle. Great topic!

Suzy
    Old 08-25-2011, 05:12 AM

funny you should say that...i just had my had my hubby bring in my zero gravity chair, and i'm using it in living room....bad back,and long arm!!!!
    Old 08-25-2011, 05:17 AM

[quote=sweetana3]It is so possible to damage the body doing hand work too. I sewed a queen grandmother's flower garden quilt and damaged both my hands. It has been months and the tendons in the left hand (holding hand) are still painful. Doctor is not much help. In fact, I was so mad at her, I am thinking of changing doctors."

Can I make a suggestion about the damage in your hands? I am a Licensed Massage Therapist that also struggles with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue. Often, after a day at the shop working out other people's pain issues, I come home barely able to pick up a pencil. I found the Nikken wraps help tremendously. Nikken wraps are a slip-on elastic wrap that have magnetic fibers woven through them. The magnetic fibers help to realign the magnetic flow of the muscles and tendons that have been disrupted by repetitive motion.....like when quilting (or massaging).....The elastic "compression" helps reduce any swelling I have, while also providing support for the muscles and tendons. Sometimes I sleep with these on, and the next morning I wake up and feel so much better.

If you google Nikken wraps, it should pull up some info on where to purchase them, although my hubby usually looks for someone selling them new on ebay.

Just wanted to share something that I have had some success with.....
    Old 08-25-2011, 05:25 AM

I too had problems with quilting for long periods of time and muscle stiffness. Then I found the cure (or at least help).

Every hour, stop and do the following.

1) nod your head and say Yes, (5 x)
    2 ) turn head from side to side(chin to shoulder) no(5 x)
    3) lift shoulders up and down (i don't know) 5 x
    4) get up, walk to kitchen, get a drink (your choice)
    5) start quilting again.

Hope this helps
    Old 08-25-2011, 05:34 AM

What about tilting your machine? I've not tried it but I read it here a few days ago. Would that help?
    Old 08-25-2011, 05:39 AM

Also try tilting that machine with doorstops. What about your chair, do you need a pillow for your back? Good sitting posture is a must for us.