Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting on Janome QC 6260 >
  • Quilting on Janome QC 6260

• Quilting on Janome QC 6260

Old 03-18-2010, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    A lot depends on how you want to machine quilt it. If you want straight lines, then it's best to use a walking foot and leave the feed dogs up. If you want to free-motion quilt, then you need a darning foot and most people drop the feed dogs.

If you've never machine quilted before, free-motion can be very daunting. I would suggest using a walking foot to make curvy lines rather than straight lines -- that way you don't have to be so careful to keep you sewing straight. With a walking foot you do not have to be concerned about stitch length (sewing machine takes care of that) so all you have to do is feed the sandwich through.

Free-motion quilting requires a darning foot and some practice. It's a good idea to make some practice sandwiches so you can get the hang of it before working on a real quilt. Most people have a lot of difficulty controlling the stitch length at first. It's common to drop the feed dogs for FMQ, but some people find they have better control if they leave the feed dogs up.

Whichever method you decide on, it helps to starch the backing fabric -- before building the quilt sandwich if possible, although you can still spray starch even after the sandwich is made. Starch stabilizes the backing fabric so you are less likely to get puckers in it.

Most sewing machines are the same, so I think you would get more responses if you did not specify your sewing machine in the post title. I didn't read your post at first because I don't have a Janome QC 6260.
    great info