Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting a king size on a 10 feet frame >
  • Quilting a king size on a 10 feet frame

• Quilting a king size on a 10 feet frame

Old 02-10-2018, 01:49 PM

Default Quilting a king size on a 10 feet frame

Hi there,
    Could anyone share a tip about how to quilt a king size quilt (118 inches) on a 10 feet quilting frame? My leaders are only 108 inches.
    It would be a very simple all over quilting design, nothing fancy that need markings or rulers work.
    Thanks!
    Annie
    Old 02-10-2018, 02:00 PM
    Power Poster

Is the top assembled? I also have a 10' frame. I didn't add the side borders to the quilt, quilted the middle, then quilted the borders separately then joined using a QAYG method.
    I know others have different techniques, and I will also be curious!
    Old 02-10-2018, 02:43 PM

I've only done one. Ask me if I'll do another! Since the length was too long also I folded one side about 12" over on itself, attached to frame as usual and quilted with a design that could be continued where stopped. Once quilted, removed from frame and reattached with unquilted edge opened out and the quilted edge folded over about 12". Now I don't need to tell you that now that end on the frame is twice as thick as the rest of the sandwich. But it didn't matter because it was at the farthest end of the frame from where I was working. I picked up the design, a pantograph, and finished that edge as usual. I think the worse part for me was reattaching the quilt. It is doable, but I'll never make it a regular practice. I forgot to add this is on a 10' LA frame.

Last edited by Jaiade; 02-10-2018 at 02:48 PM.
    Old 02-10-2018, 03:14 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jaiade
    I've only done one. Ask me if I'll do another! Since the length was too long also I folded one side about 12" over on itself, attached to frame as usual and quilted with a design that could be continued where stopped. Once quilted, removed from frame and reattached with unquilted edge opened out and the quilted edge folded over about 12". Now I don't need to tell you that now that end on the frame is twice as thick as the rest of the sandwich. But it didn't matter because it was at the farthest end of the frame from where I was working. I picked up the design, a pantograph, and finished that edge as usual. I think the worse part for me was reattaching the quilt. It is doable, but I'll never make it a regular practice. I forgot to add this is on a 10' LA frame.
    this is the way i did the 1 king ever attempted. however, i did one motif in each large block
    Old 02-10-2018, 03:53 PM
    Power Poster

I hope you find a solution that works for you. I'm currently doing up a 118" quilt for our new bed, and will not be using my LA with 10' frame. I'm having someone else do it with a bigger set up. That's the ocd kicking in~~~
    Old 02-10-2018, 07:10 PM

Mariposa I'm with you, if it's too big for my setup I will definitely have it done by someone else. Better than all the aggravation.
    Old 02-11-2018, 05:02 AM

i did two halves and then i put them to gather with a strip down the center on the back and a strip down
    the front kinda like a quilt as you go
    Old 02-11-2018, 06:47 AM

There is no borders in this quilt, it's a pieced design that I would not be able to split easily for any kind of QAYG method. I was thinking of doing something like Jaiade suggested, so I'm happy she can confirm it may work.
    I would happily rent some time on a larger set up if I could, be alas there is none closer than 3h drive :-( I'm not doing king size very often. It's for a friend. I start a quilt for her, she waited forever for it, and now she is changing her bed to a king size. Would love to be able to accomodate her need.