Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting Kudos >
  • Quilting Kudos

• Quilting Kudos

Old 03-30-2010, 01:24 PM

I had a very special friend who had cancer. I made her a quilt in Jan. 2010. She was all smiles when I gave it to her. She said everyone at church was always giving her something to wrap in. she said now she has her own. Well she past away last month and tis is what her 17 yr old daughter had to say on facebook to me. "Hey, Momma adored ther blanket you made her.. I have sleep with it ever since.. I hope you don't mind that I continue to sleep with it.. If you mind I understand but if not I would love to." This tore my heart out and made me feel like a million bucks at once.
    Old 03-30-2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Gerbie
    Brushandthinble,
    You have actually made a Quilt Around the World, then since your sons quilt has been around the world. I love it. Please tell your son and his family, especially you mom, that we thank him and his family so much for serving to protect our country. I know it must be harder on the families not knowing daily how things are going. I pray daily for all of our service personnel whever they might be and will continue to do so. They can not receive enough THANKS for all they do!!! God's blessings and love to all of you!!
    roger that, as my dh (former marine fighter pilot) would say. everyone in our family understands & appreciates what all our sailors, soldiers & marines do for our country. we sleep under the blanket of freedom that they provide.
    Old 03-30-2010, 03:04 PM

I head up the Prayer Quilt Ministry at our church in Atlanta. I am blessed to have a full album of pictures ofoven 60 quilts given to critically ill people along with their most beautiful and sometimes heart-wrenching thank you notes you would ever want to read. People are so grateful to have something tangible representing many prayers being said for them. There's no greater joy or compliment than knowing you have given something so meaningful.
    Old 03-30-2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Justok
    This story will make me cry (again) but here it goes. I made a quilt for my older sister who lives in Ohio. She used it as her everyday quilt on her bed. Last year she became very ill and she told her kids she wanted that quilt to be buried with her. At the funeral home viewing the quilt was with her. I guess she liked it.
    Yes, I cried. Thank you for sharing.
    Old 03-30-2010, 03:25 PM

My biggest compliment was from DGS I had made him a baby quilt that whenever DS tried to wash it he stood right there at the washer and dryer to get it back again. He is now thirteen and a few quilts later no one is allowed to touch them.
    Old 03-30-2010, 03:53 PM

sculpyfan - your quilt is beautiful. My sister has an embroidery machine and often wondered what to do with her samples...this is a great idea, even if all her designs aren't of the same "type" it would make a great scrappy quilt. thanks for showing it to us.
    Old 03-30-2010, 04:03 PM
    Banned

I have only received complements from the board for the march doll quilt. that was the first and only quilt I have made so far. Penny
    Old 03-30-2010, 04:49 PM

I make a twin size quilt for all of my nieces & nephews for graduation. When my oldest nephew moved into the dorm at college, his mother told me that the first thing he did was to make his bed with his quilt. Best compliment I could get from an 18 year old boy!
    Old 03-30-2010, 05:12 PM

I had an older lady friend who won the purple Best of Show ribbon at the county fair for her crocheted bedsize afghan. She didn't want flowers at her funeral (she always said to give them to her while she was alive) and her kids draped that afghan across the casket at the viewing. I know she was smiling down from heaven.
    Old 03-30-2010, 08:14 PM

My biggest compliment came from my six year old nephew. I had been cutting and pressing quilt patches at his home while I watched him during the day. I had made a quilt for his mom that he always wrapped himself in. He asked me to make him a "big" quilt like moms with race cars.

So, we searched the web, found the focus fabric and 5 months later, I gave him his quilt during a family party. He took it, laid it out on the floor, made sure all wrinkles were out of it, stood there quietly looking it over, then dove onto it yelling "I love it!". Grabbed a corner and rolled himself up in it and said "Aunti, I'm never coming out of here." So cute and I had a tear in my eye.

The quilt goes from his bed to the LR while he watches TV wrapped in it, and he does the same after dinner, then to bed with him. No one is allowed to use it. I know this quilt will be with him for a lifetime because it is not juvenile looking. I hope he saves it for when he has kids.

I finished the top for his 8 YO brother and now just need to quilt it. He picked his own fabric too. Then the 10 YO wants a Boston Bruin quilt...a real challenge because no fabric exists!

Diane