Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting Kudos >
  • Quilting Kudos

• Quilting Kudos

Old 03-31-2010, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by dmackey
    My biggest compliment came from my six year old nephew. I had been cutting and pressing quilt patches at his home while I watched him during the day. I had made a quilt for his mom that he always wrapped himself in. He asked me to make him a "big" quilt like moms with race cars.

So, we searched the web, found the focus fabric and 5 months later, I gave him his quilt during a family party. He took it, laid it out on the floor, made sure all wrinkles were out of it, stood there quietly looking it over, then dove onto it yelling "I love it!". Grabbed a corner and rolled himself up in it and said "Aunti, I'm never coming out of here." So cute and I had a tear in my eye.

The quilt goes from his bed to the LR while he watches TV wrapped in it, and he does the same after dinner, then to bed with him. No one is allowed to use it. I know this quilt will be with him for a lifetime because it is not juvenile looking. I hope he saves it for when he has kids.

I finished the top for his 8 YO brother and now just need to quilt it. He picked his own fabric too. Then the 10 YO wants a Boston Bruin quilt...a real challenge because no fabric exists!

Diane
    Use a couple of T-shirts. If I see any in my travels here around Boston I will let you know.
    Old 03-31-2010, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by ktbb
    sculpyfan - your quilt is beautiful. My sister has an embroidery machine and often wondered what to do with her samples...this is a great idea, even if all her designs aren't of the same "type" it would make a great scrappy quilt. thanks for showing it to us.
    How do I see the picture of your quilt?
    Old 03-31-2010, 05:44 AM

How do I see a picture of your quilt?
    Old 03-31-2010, 06:44 AM

sculpyfan's quilt is posted on (as of this writing) the bottom of page three of this thread...she posted is on March 30
    Old 03-31-2010, 07:41 AM

This was a backstabbing, slap in the face compliment ---- I made a quilt for my niece --- years and years ago when she was a little girl ---- I was a new quilter and the quilt was ok, but I knew even back then that there were a lot of flaws in it. Anyway, my niece's step-mother removed the label I had attached and put her name on it and took credit for having made it. (she couldn't sew a stitch) My brother confronted her about it, then gave the quilt back to me to keep for his daughter. I gave it back to my niece (with a new label) after my brother divorced that witch.
    Old 03-31-2010, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bottle Blonde
    This was a backstabbing, slap in the face compliment ---- I made a quilt for my niece --- years and years ago when she was a little girl ---- I was a new quilter and the quilt was ok, but I knew even back then that there were a lot of flaws in it. Anyway, my niece's step-mother removed the label I had attached and put her name on it and took credit for having made it. (she couldn't sew a stitch) My brother confronted her about it, then gave the quilt back to me to keep for his daughter. I gave it back to my niece (with a new label) after my brother divorced that witch.
    WOW ... that took alot of nerve on her (ex-step-mother's) part to do that ... what made her think she could get away with it???
    Old 03-31-2010, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
    Originally Posted by dmackey
    Then the 10 YO wants a Boston Bruin quilt...a real challenge because no fabric exists!

Diane
    Use a couple of T-shirts. If I see any in my travels here around Boston I will let you know.
    Brush and Thimble,

Thank you so very much for your offer to help! That is just wonderful to find someone who is so quick to lend a hand. I'm in Lowell. Are you close by?

I was going to use t-shirts, but I found a company on Ebay that had a set of embroidered Bruins patches, so I got them (12 -$50) and will use those for his quilt. I have my Kona cotton fabrics in black and white already, so I just have to find the right golden yellow. I thought I would make stars with the patches in the center and alternate them with solid stars in the blocks on the quilt with sashing.

May I brag? The 10 year old is on two teams, and is the #1 Goalie in his league, the 8 year old played his first hockey game in September and scored the only points in the game, 10 Goals! and the little guy at 6, always beats his brothers when they play street hockey. So, I think my little men are going to be a hat trick of hockey stars!

Diane
    Old 03-31-2010, 12:51 PM

bottle blonde - it just goes to show that even what some of us consider our lower quality work is better than the highest quality work of others.. Good for your brother for giving the quilt back to you to keep for a while...
    Old 03-31-2010, 01:19 PM

cbuchanan, Do you have a website which shows all of the prayer quilts that have been made? I would enjoy seeing them?
    Eiltcoq.
    Old 03-31-2010, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
    that one made me cry...what a compliment

All these stories are wonderful. I (we?) often think that folks don't appreciate the work and the love that goes into our quilts, then something like these stories pop up and give us encouragement - and make our hearts expand till the only way they can get bigger is to come out in tears...

I am trying art quilt projects and really enjoy them. Not long ago I had a "real" artist tell me that I could not exhibit my art quilts in their monthly art display since quilting was not art...how little she knows!

Which leads me to wonder how quilters would define "art"...maybe another discussion thread?

Here's to each of you who keeps on keeping on even when the kudos are not obvious.
    I had the same situation here at work. Several years ago they started a Staff Art Show. The person heading it up made it clear it was "art" and not "craft". Didn't bother me at all, it was her thing. Last year I was working on a quilt for my daughter, and the woman asked if I would like to be in the show, because that quilt was art. Well, so many others expressed interest in entering quilts into the show, that we broke off to our own quilt show. Funny thing was that at the ART show, there was a framed, fabric, embroidered and embellished piece I would call a quilt-but it had been accepted as framed art!

I posted about it here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-40780-1.htm