Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting Kudos >
  • Quilting Kudos

• Quilting Kudos

Old 03-31-2010, 01:42 PM

Best compliment I ever got - I made a quilt for an office colleague that was having a baby. Six years later I was at their new house for a dinner party and they were showing me around. That quilt was still on their son's bed, and much the worse for wear. I could tell it had been used and loved. All I could ever ask.
    Old 03-31-2010, 04:43 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Bottle Blonde
    This was a backstabbing, slap in the face compliment ---- I made a quilt for my niece --- years and years ago when she was a little girl ---- I was a new quilter and the quilt was ok, but I knew even back then that there were a lot of flaws in it. Anyway, my niece's step-mother removed the label I had attached and put her name on it and took credit for having made it. (she couldn't sew a stitch) My brother confronted her about it, then gave the quilt back to me to keep for his daughter. I gave it back to my niece (with a new label) after my brother divorced that witch.
    wow that is really bad. I am sorry she did that to you. Penny
    Old 03-31-2010, 05:00 PM

The best compliments I get are from the people on this message board. Thank you to all of you. You are wonderful!!
    Old 03-31-2010, 06:25 PM

I made a quilt that was going to be mine. But during the piecing it just felt like it should be my daughter's. She lives in NYC and I mailed the quilt for her birthday. She called and left a message about how much she loved it. She wanted me to know how awesome it was and that when her friends came over they were all ohhing and ahhing and asking if they could buy one. The message was so long she ran out of time. The next day I received an email. A picture of her wrapped in the quilt with a sign that said Thanks. The caption said "I truly love my quilt and you".
    The picture is on my desk and the message is still on my answering machine.
    Old 03-31-2010, 06:45 PM

Diane,
    Maybe you could take a photo of the 10 yr, old with some of his Boston Bruin momentos and use that as a center of the quilt. Then use their colors for other blocks, or just use his picture and their colors, he may not like them forever. You know kids change their minds about sports teams, almost as often as they change birthdays. But then he may be like my son, he has had a special and favorite team, since he was in kinder, and he is 34 now, so some never change. Sounds like you made a big hit with the youngest, glad you did his first!! Must have really made him feel important and good not to have to be the last one to get a quilt. The 10 yr. old is old enough to understand and be able to wait a while.
    Old 03-31-2010, 07:10 PM

Iquilt_gma,
    Where in central Tx. do you live? My dad was born and raised at Cross Plains, near Brownwood, Tx. I live in far W. Tx. between Midland and El Paso.
    Old 03-31-2010, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Gerbie
    Diane,
    Maybe you could take a photo of the 10 yr, old with some of his Boston Bruin momentos and use that as a center of the quilt. Then use their colors for other blocks, or just use his picture and their colors, he may not like them forever.
    Gerbie,

I agree so whole heartedly that they just might change their minds in the long run, but I think I'm safe with the Bruin's quilt. He does have a few pix of himself with Bruin's players, lives in Bruins shirts and wants all his clothes to be black and gold, so he is a fanatic. While the six and eight year old got theme quilts (race cars and baseball), I tried to make sure they weren't juvenille so that they would use them as teens too.

Diane
    Old 03-31-2010, 10:41 PM

My SIL loves the quilt I made for their (her and my brother)housewarming gift. She said she will think of me everytime she uses it. She also called it beautiful! It is only the second quilt I've made so far. 8-) I didn't quilt it, had to send it out to be quilted. Quilter did a great job on it.
    Old 03-31-2010, 11:20 PM

I made a quilt for a friends grandson with cancer he was 3 to take to hospital in New York when he passed away they all told of how he loved the quilt I made him . I embroideried his favorite things on the quilt it is still one of their most treasured keepsakes
    Old 04-01-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kathy N
    I was at my parents house showing my moms my quilts that I made for my grandchildren. My sister-in-law made a snide comment about I hope they appreciate getting another quilt. Her son stepped up and said I would take one of Aunt Kathy's quilts any day. That was a huge compliment from a 19 year old. Guess who is getting a special quilt for Christmas!!!!!!
    What an awesome thing for the 19 year old to say! Yes, he definitely should get one of you special quilts with a lot of love going into every stitch. Sounds like your sister in law is jealous of your quilting ability.