Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting Kudos >
  • Quilting Kudos

• Quilting Kudos

Old 04-02-2010, 04:21 AM

Years ago, a small quilt I made and entered in our guild's quilt show won the Viewers Choice award. I was so proud of that and the "ribbon" which was cross stitched with the guild's logo. Just the fact that strangers liked it enough to vote for it absolutely thrilled me.
    Old 04-02-2010, 05:16 AM

I won viewer's choice at a local quilt show. I am very proud of that ribbon. The biggest compliments came from two of my aunts. They wanted to see some of my quilts so I gave them a mini quilt show. They are both elderly women (sisters) but the older one says to the younger one, "I will sit on her.....you grab them and run.......we will decide who gets which one later!"
    Old 04-02-2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119
    I won viewer's choice at a local quilt show. I am very proud of that ribbon. The biggest compliments came from two of my aunts. They wanted to see some of my quilts so I gave them a mini quilt show. They are both elderly women (sisters) but the older one says to the younger one, "I will sit on her.....you grab them and run.......we will decide who gets which one later!"
    LOL love it :-)
    Old 04-02-2010, 12:27 PM

maryb119 - after my grandfather died, my grandmother lived for many years with her older, maiden sister, and I can just imagine them as the two aunts that you described in your story...what a hoot! and what a compliment!
    Old 04-02-2010, 07:43 PM

I love their reaction, obviously they are quilters or have in years past. That is quite a compliment. I can see or rather hear this now from some elderly ladies. I love the humor most of them have. Gerbie
    Old 04-02-2010, 08:14 PM

I have been fortunate to have several quilts that were greatly loved. I made grandsons boat quilts when they were small and a few years ago the youngest, now past 30 told me he was still using his quilt but it was so fragile he had to pull it up over him very carefully as he could hear the threads breaking! That's loved! Also made a quilt for a friend's baby and when she was admiring it our area administrator happened by and said, "Wow, that would really light up a room!" Quite a compliment. Also made a quilt for my in-laws 60th wedding anniversary. It had pictures of all their kids and grandkids on it and was put together with a nice border fabric and then hand quilted. Grandma could never bring herself to put it on a bed but they proudly showed it to everyone who came by the house for years! All of our grandkids (15) and great grandkids (25) have had baby quilts and all the nieces and nephews got baby quilts for their first babies so I have made a lot of them as well as a bunch of wall quilts and bed quilts for our home.
    Old 04-02-2010, 08:16 PM

Boy, you have been busy over the years, but it seems like you have enjoyed every minute and every stitch.
    Old 04-03-2010, 02:53 AM

My favoite quilt I have made is the one for my great grandson I Called it his grandfather quilt it had pictures of my husbands dad ,husband,our son and grandson when they were babies with their names an birthdays and the babys name and year on it it was the hit of the baby shower
    Old 04-03-2010, 03:14 AM

my best compliment was overheard at walmart and said by a stranger about 6 years ago. :D
    i had been making simple baby quilts with 4" squares and donating them to the crisis pregnancy center for about a year.
    I was having a very bad day and made a trip to walmart to buy fabric (always makes me feel better lol). I was walking past the baby section on the way to the fabric dept. and saw 1 of my quilts being held very tightly by a baby that looked around 9-10 months old, and overheard the mother telling another how the only way she could wash the quilt was to sneak it away while the baby was napping and how loved my quilt was. By the time i got to the fabric dept., i was in tears and the badness of the day was forgotten.
    Old 04-03-2010, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaMas
    my best compliment was overheard at walmart and said by a stranger about 6 years ago. :D
    i had been making simple baby quilts with 4" squares and donating them to the crisis pregnancy center for about a year.
    I was having a very bad day and made a trip to walmart to buy fabric (always makes me feel better lol). I was walking past the baby section on the way to the fabric dept. and saw 1 of my quilts being held very tightly by a baby that looked around 9-10 months old, and overheard the mother telling another how the only way she could wash the quilt was to sneak it away while the baby was napping and how loved my quilt was. By the time i got to the fabric dept., i was in tears and the badness of the day was forgotten.
    What a beautiful story. Not wanting my grandchildren to get too attached to their Grammy baby quilts, I made a few for each child and asked the Mom's to rotate the quilts so they wouldn't end up dragging the quilts everywhere with them. With my son's children, it worked but with my daughter's children we have a 17 year old who mends her baby quilt and takes it with her in her back pack everywhere. All 4 or our my daughter's children are very attached to their quilts that they came home from the hospital wrapped in but she has been the toughest. When she was around 10 I decided to make her a pillow with scraps leftover from her baby quilt that she came home from the hospital wrapped in and she takes it with her for sleepovers. Two years ago I completed a pretty twin patchwork quilt using her beloved yellow fabric and it will be going to college with her in the fall but bet anything that baby blanket will be packed in there too. She has been mending it to keep it going. When she was 3 it needed mending for the first time and I foolishly mended it and she carefully watched so she could learn how. Her last visit to see us in FL, she did NOT have it with her - progress at long last but the pillow and the new quilt have helped wean her away plus she she loves to use my hexagonal quilt that moved with me. What a wonderful story you shared and yes, it should have helped make your day a whole lot better. That baby wouldn't have had that quilt without you!