Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting Machine Table >
  • Quilting Machine Table

• Quilting Machine Table

Old 11-28-2013, 02:40 PM

Default Quilting Machine Table

We are going to be moving soon and I will have a room for quilting in my new house. I have a folding table that I have been using for cutting & pinning. I need ideas for a table for my sewing machine. I would love to know what some of you use. I would especially like to see pictures. I don't want to buy an expensive ready made table. Thank you
    Old 11-28-2013, 02:51 PM
    Power Poster

Several people have purchased Ikea tables or other Ikea furniture and cut out an opening (to drop down into a shelf). Here are links to some Ikea furniture mods for quilting:
    http://frecklemamachris.blogspot.com...-for-your.html
    http://quiltingthetownred.blogspot.c...ilt-hacks.html
    http://badskirt.blogspot.com.au/2012...ula-hands.html
    Old 11-28-2013, 05:34 PM

About 10 years ago, some wonderful person ( to whom I will be forever indebted) posted a conversion of a table from IKEA, so I dragged my husband a few hours to the closest one. She had used a table with adjustable legs, which we found. It was viciously heavy and there was no help in loading, but DH managed to get it mostly into our trunk and brave the freeway home. The adjustable legs have been so valuable! If you are as indecisive as I am, you can easily change its height, compensate for an uneven floor, etc. i'd definitely do it again ( although i didn't win any popularity contests at the time).

hugs,
    charlotte
    Old 11-29-2013, 03:16 AM

You can use a couple of bookcases and lay a hollow core door on top as your cutting surface. Cheap, easy, extra storage, looks great and gives you a big surface to work on. Pinterest has some great pix of this.
    Old 11-29-2013, 03:43 AM

Quilt in a Day website blog has some instructions on how to make a sewing machine table out of an old farm table.
    Old 11-29-2013, 06:17 AM

I have the Arrow Gidget II table, which was less than $300, it folds up for storage (but I leave it out) yet is study and doen't vibrate. I just add extra cheep tables to hold up my quilts.

http://www.hsn.com/products/arrow-gi...7-001b2166c2c0

Here it is less than $200 with free shipping!
    Old 11-29-2013, 05:36 PM

Default Machine quilting table Cheap

My hubby and I went to Salvation Army store and purchased this table and he then cut a opening in it and made a box under neath to hold machine and then went to Home Depot and bought plexiglass and cut out shape to fit my machine and this works great for machine quilting as you can see there a lot of room to hold the quilt and the legs adjust.Sorry the pics aren't great but if you want I could retake if you think that this would work for you.
    Attached Thumbnails 100_2281.jpg  
    Old 11-29-2013, 07:23 PM

We found a great table on Craigslist for $20.00. Then DH and I cut a hole in the top and built a box underneath to hold the machine and set it in level with the table top. You can see original post and pictures here
    Old 11-30-2013, 06:26 AM

I use an executive desk I bought at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore for $15.00. It's solid oak and huge. I haven't had DH cut a hole for the machine yet but the center drawer pulls out and the machine can sit in it and be level with the top of the desk.
    Old 11-30-2013, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by annie123
    Quilt in a Day website blog has some instructions on how to make a sewing machine table out of an old farm table.
    I Have the old farm table, I just need a carpenter for the change I want to make, until then, I set the machine on it and raise my chair to it...