Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting Magazine Subscriptions >
  • Quilting Magazine Subscriptions

• Quilting Magazine Subscriptions

Old 04-29-2014, 05:55 PM

1.. Quick Quilts
    2. Block by Missouri Start quilts co.
    3. Lot's of great websites on the internet to partake of patterns.
    Old 04-29-2014, 05:58 PM

I like Quilter's Newletter, Quiltmaker and The Quilter. I downloaded the first issue of Block but probably won't order the second. Seemed like mostly a print version of MSQC video tutorials to me.
    Old 04-29-2014, 07:05 PM

I love American Patchwork and Quilting & McCalls learn a lot there good instructions and patterns. Quilter's World (Quilt World? Sorry not at my fingertips just now) is a very good choice for a newer quilter as is Quilty. Love Q's Newsletter and AQS Magazine for all the virtual quilt shows I can experience and articles about everything quilting. I get F & P but not sure I will renew-seems different, less than it used to be somehow. Love reading Quilt Sampler for all the shops featured, love to see where other quilters go to shop!
    Old 04-29-2014, 07:25 PM

I like digital subscriptions. Currently I'm getting McCall's Quilting , Quilter's World and Quiltmaker. I also buy specific digital issues of quilting magazines I've seen in stores. Trying to get away from "paper". I'm waiting for the second issue of BLOCK to be available as a digital issue. Also buy books from Martingale is digital format.
    Old 04-29-2014, 08:31 PM

I like quilters newsletter, they have the best articles. I also like american quilter. Most other mags just have patterns and I just buy if I like them
    Old 04-30-2014, 05:04 AM

I only subscribe to Block now. It is wonderful! I used to get McCalls Quick Quilts, Easy Quilts, and Fons & Porter Love of Quilting. I agree that there are so many free patterns out there now that it isn't necessary to buy a lot of magazines. I can't part with a magazine once I buy it, so they just piled up and took up space that I could use for fabric. They are expensive too. Check out MSQC and look at all their quilting videos on Youtube. They are free and easy.
    Old 04-30-2014, 05:14 AM

I have purchased Block. I'm not sure why because I really don't have room to store them, but I couldn't resist getting it. Now that I have it I'm really glad. I love having written instructions at my finger tips and their projects are just right for me.
    Old 04-30-2014, 05:22 AM
    Power Poster

Somehow I got a subscription to Keepsake catalog. Don't remember ordering it. All of the quilts in the catalog are kits. You can also buy just the pattern. I would rather sign up on someone's website but still I'm a tightwad, cheapskate, etcetera. There are just so many patterns that are free. If you go to YouTube you can watch instructional videos. Missouri Quilt Star Company has videos and as someone else pointed out they do have a magazine "BLOCK". I would check cyberspace first. I get enough magazines because of my career w/o ordering scripts.
    Old 04-30-2014, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
    I stopped my all my subscriptions a few years ago. So many free patterns on the manufactures web sites and other web sites. Too many times I was less than thrilled with an issue. Now if I find an issue of a particular magazine that has something , I buy just that magazine issue.
    Same here. I love browsing the magazine display for something that catches my eye. I agree about the free patterns online. Also a lot of great tutorials online.
    Old 04-30-2014, 06:47 AM

I always liked Quiltmaker. I have a ton of back issues, but haven't bought it recently. They definitely focus more on beginner patterns.

I also see that our local library has a Zinio subscription. I can get American Patchwork and Quilting and Quilting Art for free via digital delivery, and love them both (as free subscriptions).

I suggest you go to the local library and look at magazines and decide for yourself which has more helpful information.

Another good source is yard sales. People get rid of their old magazines all the time and you can pick them up for a song....I'm so glad I never succumbed to the temptation to do that. I have fun looking at all my old mags from time to time, while imagining them with new fabric. It's even fun to look at old advertising and think of how times are so different now.

I guess the bottom line for me is I can't think of a magazine worth subscribing to at the moment, but I'm sure glad I used to subscribe to them! I guess I believe that every quilter needs a cache of magazines, so you'd better start collecting yours! Ha!