Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting Magazine >
  • Quilting Magazine

• Quilting Magazine

Old 09-28-2017, 07:57 AM

I have or still subscribe to most of these at some point, my preferences are in this order:
    1. McCall's
    2. Love of Quilting
    3. Quiltmaker
    4. American Patchwork
    5. McCall's Quick Quilts
    6. Quilter's World
    Old 09-28-2017, 10:25 AM

Thanks for all of the input, I think I am going to go with McCalls. I found an issue that someone gave me some time ago and I think it will be a good fit. My friends daughter is trying to win a prize for selling, so I want to help her out.
    Old 09-28-2017, 10:59 AM

I take all of them and like them all. If I had to make a choice it would be Love of Quilting or Quilters World.
    Old 09-28-2017, 03:28 PM
    Power Poster

At one time I subscribed to all of those but it's been a long time. I don't buy magazines anymore but I would for a cause such as yours. I didn't even realize they were still in circulation. My very favorite was Quilter's Newsletter but they stopped production after many years.
    Old 09-28-2017, 08:23 PM

think I either subscribe or have subscribed to all except the quick ones, which I often pick up at the store. I prefer Quiltmaker and Quilters World. Quiltmaker always gives quilting design ideas which I appreciate. McCalls is starting to do that now too. Every year i swear i'm cutting back on subscriptions, then they send me a notice for a great rate that's hard to resist! I go through them each year and donate any that don't have at least quilts i want to make. Then I decide which magazine I can drop based on which ones i donate the most.
    Old 09-28-2017, 08:46 PM

I usually get my mags at Sam's Club which gives a discount or from the ones people bring into guild meetings to give away. I like them all. My local public library has American Patchwork & Quilting. I'd check your local library and not subscribe to one you could just check out.
    Old 09-29-2017, 06:57 AM

My favorite is McCall's. I also like MSQ's Block magazine but frankly I MISS the Ads! I like to see ads of new fabric collections and notions.
    Old 09-29-2017, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by janjanq
    My favorite is McCall's. I also like MSQ's Block magazine but frankly I MISS the Ads! I like to see ads of new fabric collections and notions.
    SO glad that someone else likes the ads! I know that is why some like BLock--but to me it'sa pattern book only and I really like to see what's new and that means ads!
    Old 09-29-2017, 04:24 PM

speaking of magazines--anyone know of any other machine quilters mags other than Machine Quilting Unlimited? I've grown weary of that one but would love to have a good machine quilting mag.
    Old 09-30-2017, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by pandamommy
    Unless it is a child or grandchild who is selling the subscriptions and needs points for selling; Just give a donation to the school and then go subscribe on your own. The school will get more money and your subscription will be cheaper. As mentioned above try buying a few single issues and see which one you like. If going on your own you might enjoy Missouri Star "Block" Magazine. It has patterns and articles and no advertisements.
    As a long time educator, I would so agree with the above EXCEPT nearly always these fundraisers are incentive based involving prizes and events for the top sellers. I so do not agree with this approach but it is apparently the only way to operate the most successful (and much needed) revenue generation that these campaigns are geared toward. As a faculty member with children in my own school, I appealed to my administrator to allow me to make a donation, avoid purchasing "stuff" I did not need or want, and still have my child eligible for the incentive program. It seemed like a win-win to me. My donation would be 100% of funds as opposed to around 50% of funds generated. However, I was turned down flat. It seems that without the "sale," such an approach could not generate the funds that the sale campaign would generate. And I guessed that these fundraiser contracts probably prohibited this type of response.

What did I do? I talked to my sons as this event came up each year. We agreed that I would give them the money that i would normally waste on wrapping paper, popcorn, magazines, etc. each year. In essence, I paid them not to participate. This appealed to my little mercenaries. Annually I spent loads of money out of my pocket on job related needs with receipts to prove it so I had not one crumb of guilt. With money in their pockets, my boys did not feel they missed out on anything. I only regret that there appears to be no better way to do provide funds that our schools desperately need and have come to rely on.