Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting Magazines-GRRRR!!!! >
  • Quilting Magazines-GRRRR!!!!

• Quilting Magazines-GRRRR!!!!

Old 09-06-2010, 09:49 AM

Wow, and I thoght the quilt mags were in plastic just to keep me from being tempted! My two girl/sister friends have just scaled back to two each. We used to send holiday gifts one to each other, making the total for me 5.
    Now that the fabric companies offer free patterns, we no longer have to buy mags for patterns.
    Thank you all for being here every day. It is truly great to know we each have a hand in each others lives.
    My "real" job is so stressful. I am a nurse. Nothing more need be said. In my teaching and working with fabric for various project, a wrong cut is not life and death. My quilting is my destresser. How about you?
    Old 09-06-2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by mar32428
    Originally Posted by mar32428
    Originally Posted by craftiladi
    Hmmmm I suspect thats exactly why they do it so people like you & me can't thumb through them. Here in Utah the only quilt magazine that comes sealed in plastic F & P but it always has been. I really scaled back on my magazine subscriptions a couple yrs ago when the prices just worth the content, espically when there seems to be so many ads.
    Me too. If I can't find a pattern on the internet or in the books I have that I like, then I'm pretty picky.
    Oh, Another thing. I have learned more and had more questions answered here on the Board than all the magazines put together.
    Me, too!!
    Old 09-06-2010, 11:54 AM

I did the samething last week. Went to Joanns wanted to flip thru the mags before I buy it and they were all wrapped in fabric. that ticked me off. So I did not buy them either. I want to make sure there is something in the mag I am interested in before I buy it. I wish you could get all the quilter mags in digital form. Like Quilter's World.
    Old 09-06-2010, 02:02 PM

I know what you mean n;ot like there is something inside that others should not see. I got one with a disc in it and the disc would not work on my computer DUH> Guess we all will use the internet for everything.
    Originally Posted by janRN
    I rarely if ever buy quilting mags (just gave away over 200 from when I was working and subscribed). I can find everything I need here or elsewhere on internet. DH is in China for 2 wks and I wanted something to read. I started to look at quilt mags at the store and they're all wrapped in plastic. Has this been going on for awhile? I find this outrageous!! I like to flip thru the mag and if even one thing catches my eye I'll buy it. All of them were in sealed plastic bags. How stupid!! They're not Playboy or Hustler that you have to hide the contents--they're quilt magazines. Needless to say I didn't buy one; that's their loss which I don't think they can afford to alienate many more buyers. I think most everyone uses the internet now and passes on mags.
    Oh they offer a little "freebie" in them like a pamphlet or folder on another topic so I'm sure their logic for the plastic is to hold the 2 thngs together. Staple it inside the cover for crying out loud!!
    Sorry for the rant on such a beautiful Sunday morning!! I was just wondering if anyone else feels this way. I sent an email to McCalls but don't expect to hear from them.
    Old 09-06-2010, 02:32 PM

I'll rant right along with you! I only see F & P magazine wrapped in plastic here in Sioux Falls, SD but if I can't see the patterns, I won't buy the magazine. 99.9% of my quilt patterns are from purchased patterns or books - the magazines are mostly marketing tools for specific lines of fabrics anyway (in my opinion)so I'd only buy a magazine if there was a great pattern I "SAW" in the magazine while thumbing through it. Paper printed media such as newspapers and magazines are virtually archaic anyway - soon there will be none. Cooking magazines are discontinuing, too, I've noticed. Anyway, it's too bad that they're sealed in plastic - if you take it to a clerk, they SHOULD open it for you so you can look.
    Old 09-06-2010, 02:46 PM

I don't buy mags anymore. I buy subscriptions to various on-line sites and find these much more useful. I love this board and 3-4 others. Learn a lot, get inspiration all over. I wouldn't buy anything sealed up either.
    Old 09-06-2010, 03:20 PM

The thing is, I love magazines. They are dying. My journalist friend is terribly worried about her career. And advertising does help pay.
    My secret pal just sent me a bunch of magazines. I assume they were gently used. I loved looking at them and then my next secret pal can enjoy them!
    Old 09-06-2010, 03:41 PM

I just received a free copy of Fons and Porter, that had a free DVD as a freebie. I'm glad I did not spend any money, since the DVD will not play on my imac! Grrrrrr!
    Old 09-06-2010, 03:46 PM

Good thread. No, I don't buy magazines.
    Old 09-06-2010, 04:07 PM

I am retired from nursing now but for a long time quilting was my outlet too. Truth be known, my addiction to magazines came about partly because even if I was too tired to concentrate on the real act of quilt-making I could at least get lost in a magazine. Cut my teeth on Quilter's Newsletter Magazine back when it was a good pattern source. It was probably the last magazine I let go...after the original Lehman retired. Got too, well, artsy fartsy and political for me.

What kind of nursing do you do? My experience was mostly maternity, psychiatry, and IV therapy. Ended up my career working in-patient hospice. It was my calling but I found it too late.
    My "real" job is so stressful. I am a nurse. Nothing more need be said. In my teaching and working with fabric for various project, a wrong cut is not life and death. My quilting is my destresser. How about you?[/quote]