Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting On My Machine >
  • Quilting On My Machine

• Quilting On My Machine

Old 11-15-2017, 07:49 PM
    Power Poster

I have made many quilts and machine quilted them. I decided last week to straight stitch 7 quilt 45x60". The D9P puckered really bad in some areas, I just kept going thinking it would get better it didn't. I was ready to sew on binding. I decided I could not live with it. I have spent several hours the last two days unquilting I will have a couple hours tomorrow to finish it. Then I will FMQ it and that is my usual quilting method. I should stick with that. I was trying my best to do it nicely, I must have stretched it or squares were cut wrong. I will donate these quilts but want to be proud of my work. Good luck on your quilting adventure.
    Old 11-15-2017, 08:21 PM

I find working in a small area easier than going across a quilt numerous times - that's too much pushing and pulling for me. I flatten an area under the arm, FMQ it and move on to a new area - maybe 10 inches square. I always turn the quilt as needed so that more than half the quilt is not under the arm. Center to edge, turn, center to edge, turn, etc. My QOV are twin size and it hasn't been a problem. I am a puddle and pusher, not roller.
    Old 11-15-2017, 11:22 PM
    Power Poster

I like the center to edge then turn, and repeat until finished.

I also feel no matter where my quilt goes for someone else which this one is, or myself, I want to do my best.

All of you have been so helpful, and another big thing is all of you have helped me to feel so much more motivated, and excited about it.

I will keep all these good notes from you for all my quilts to come.
    Old 11-16-2017, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by GEMRM
    If you're planning to FMQ the top, you can turn your machine so that you're actually sewing with the small end of the machine facing you (large/motor end far away from you, towards the top...). This gives you much more side to side room. This works because the hopping/FMQ foot only touches down when making the stitch and the feed dogs are not engaged/stitch length is set to zero.
    This is how I have my Janome 8900 set up...in fact, I had a acrylic table made especially for turning my machine. It works wonderfully.
    Old 11-16-2017, 04:54 AM

I also use the puddling method as taught on a Craftsy class I took a few years ago. I've made up to king size on my domestic. The hardest part is sandwiching the quilt in preparation for the quilting process.
    Old 11-16-2017, 10:23 AM
    Power Poster

Before I got a longarm I quilted many large quilts on my DSM. I couldn't have done it without Marti Michell's book, Machine Quilting in Sections - https://www.amazon.com/Marti-Michell...+marti+michell. She now has a class on craftsy on this subject. In the book (and probably in the class) she shows several different methods of quilting in sections, and explains why each method would be appropriate for different styles of tops. I highly recommend the book, or the class.

I also liked to puddle my quilts.
    Old 11-16-2017, 05:07 PM

I am a relatively new quilter; thus, my knowledge is somewhat limited -- I really don't know what I'm supposed, or not supposed to be able to do. My first pieced block quilt (a log cabin) was quilted on my Singer 201-2 (an old vintage machine in tip-top shape!). I rolled my quilt (half of it) and began my stitching in the center of the quilt. My quilt was a very large Queen Size, and yes, it was not easy, but I quilted it SITD, and had no puckers at all. Now, I'm not saying this quilt was perfect -- it wasn't, but I think it turned out pretty good for a "first"! I'll have to resize the photo and re-post later.
    Old 11-17-2017, 05:57 AM

JuneBillie - I am in the same boat as you. I need to eventually quilt about a 60 x 60 quilt on my machine and haven't done it before. I'm thinking of doing simple straight lines too. I have a disappearing nine patch pattern and to do stitch in the ditch would be too much. Sometimes it's just taking the plunge and trying it - and that's where I am! The quilt I'm making will be larger than baby size but for a baby.
    Old 11-17-2017, 06:15 AM

Before I got my PQ1500s (9” throat) I quilted large quilts on either my vintage Brother or my PC420PRW bother have throats in the 6to 7 inch range. Puddling or accordion folding are the way to go. Also Make Sure you have good support to the back and to the side of your machine, you do not want to have to deal with any quilt drag on a larger quilt, it will wear you out and will also result in ugly stitches whether FMQ or doing quilting using a walking foot or your regular foot.

Rob
    Old 11-17-2017, 06:22 AM

Just saw the wavy tutorial - that looks great!