Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting newbie; question about making a quilt sandwich: >
  • Quilting newbie; question about making a quilt sandwich:

• Quilting newbie; question about making a quilt sandwich:

Old 10-14-2012, 01:10 PM

Default Quilting newbie; question about making a quilt sandwich:

I have 2 small-ish (crib size and slightly larger) quilt tops that I've made, but am wondering how would be best to make the quilt sandwich to start sewing these layers together.

I saw online to tape the quilt ba
    ck to the floor, lay the batting on top, then the quilt top and smooth everything out....

My main question is what type of safety pins should I use? The
    curved ones seem like the best idea, but what size? And approx how many should I get?

And I'm looking to order online - how mu
    ch should these cost? I see a pack of 75, size 2 Dritz pins on Amazon for about $11. Is that a normal price? (seems kinda high to me, but I'm very new to this)

And are there any reputable quilt shops online that you like to order from/support?

Thanks
    Old 10-14-2012, 01:18 PM

The pins should be about 4 inches apart. I used the width of my palm and placed them away from seams (just easier that way). Start in the center and work your way to the edges, smoothing as you go. I place a small marble under the back to help with sticking the pins through. It raises the sandwich just enough you won't scratch your floor or pin to your carpet (yup, done that more than once). You can also use a grapefruit spoon to help close the pins and save your fingers.

If you will send me your address I can send you plenty. My hubby got me a frame and mid-arm and I no longer pin much. I would be happy to send you enough for a small quilt.
    Old 10-14-2012, 01:18 PM

I use the curved pins. I think they're one inch. Got mine when they were 50% off. You might be able to use a JoAnn's coupon. You need to pin so there's no more than 4-5 inches between pins. Number of pins needed depends on how large the quilt is. That being said, I mostly spray baste now. It's much quicker and holds the sandwich together better. Also, no pins in the way when you're quilting.
    Old 10-14-2012, 01:26 PM

I only spray baste with 505 adhesive spray. I find it much esier then any other method I have tried.
    Try different methods (everyone has their favourite) and find one that works for you.
    Old 10-14-2012, 01:33 PM

I use Elmer's School Glue, with Warm & White batting. No need for pins, which always seem to slip.
    Old 10-14-2012, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by grammyp
    <cut> I place a small marble under the back to help with sticking the pins through. It raises the sandwich just enough you won't scratch your floor or pin to your carpet (yup, done that more than once). <cut>
    What a great idea!!!! Thanks grammyp.

Carolyn - I use 1 inch curved safety pins. I think I had to buy 3 set of 100 so that I had enough for some bigger quilts. I started out with 100 and that might be enough for the baby quilt. I too pin using the width of my palm to space the pins (and put the pins where I won't be stitching.) Thanks to Alex Anderson's Simply Quilts show for recommending this method of using plenty of pins. I've done several quilts this way and have never had a pucker.
    Old 10-14-2012, 02:44 PM

I did notice that someone else made a comment that the silver safety pins caused rust on her quilt. So that being said brass pins (I believe they all said brass) were more money but in the long run better. I never had the rusting happen and never thought about it but thought I would include this
    Old 10-14-2012, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by grammyp
    The pins should be about 4 inches apart. I used the width of my palm and placed them away from seams (just easier that way). Start in the center and work your way to the edges, smoothing as you go. I place a small marble under the back to help with sticking the pins through. It raises the sandwich just enough you won't scratch your floor or pin to your carpet (yup, done that more than once). You can also use a grapefruit spoon to help close the pins and save your fingers.

If you will send me your address I can send you plenty. My hubby got me a frame and mid-arm and I no longer pin much. I would be happy to send you enough for a small quilt.

Bless your heart! You don't have to do that, but I do appreciate the offer

And thank you everyone for your tips and suggestions!
    Old 10-14-2012, 03:41 PM
    Power Poster

You will get a million different responses to your question on the different methods we use. I use Hobbs 80/20 fusible batt and iron my sandwich together. I am going to try the 505 spray basting on my next one.
    HOWEVER you seem to have the basics for pin basting. The stainless curved quilters safety pins do a good job but can be expensive. You can use regular brass ones but they are harder to put in and close. The only tip I wold add is place a marble under the back of the sandwich before you start pinning. You can roll the marble along as you pin and it creates enough space to put the pin through the sandwich. I use knee pads for crawling on the floor so my knees don't get sore. If at all possible do the pinning on a couple of large tables with clamps to hold the back down and save your back and knees. Good luck.
    Old 10-14-2012, 04:23 PM

I fold the backing in half before I tape it down to the floor, then fold the batting and top in half and align them with the the backing so all three parts are centered. I sandwhich all three layers using Pinmoore's I really like them and it seams to go quicker for me then using the pins. Also I make sure the backing is 3" larger than the batting and top, and I mark my top before I sandwhich the quilt. Have fun working on your crib quilts.