Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting Patterns >
  • Quilting Patterns

• Quilting Patterns

Old 05-28-2011, 05:37 PM

Today I visited my first local quilt shop. I usually go to Joann's or Hobby Lobby. I found a wonderful book there but I am confused how to use it. The book shows all these patterns for the quilting the quilt. I love them all. I feel like this is a dumb question, but since these are on paper how do I get the pattern onto the quilt top? I cannot draw stick people so free hand is not going to work.
    Old 05-28-2011, 05:45 PM

Make a copy on your printer of them and then use a tracing wheel and paper to put them onto your fabric.
    I personally have never done this, but that is what I would do. I think. I am sure you will get better answers then this from someone. Goodluck to you.
    Old 05-28-2011, 06:12 PM

I've taped the pattern onto either a window or slider in a sunny location and traced it onto the quilt that way. Sort of like a huge light box.
    Old 05-28-2011, 06:13 PM

You can layer tracing paper on top of the design and then tulle on top of the tracing paper (tape them down)...from there you can use a permanent marker to trace the design onto the tracing paper (it will not go through to the book). Then, once your design is on the tulle, you can pin it to your quilt top and use chalk to mark the quilt. Not sure if I explained it very well but this is how I was taught at my quilting class. She said the nice thing about the tulle is that it can be folded up really small and be stored in a film canister or medicine bottle.
    Old 05-28-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by cawsings
    You can layer tracing paper on top of the design and then tulle on top of the tracing paper (tape them down)...from there you can use a permanent marker to trace the design onto the tracing paper (it will not go through to the book). Then, once your design is on the tulle, you can pin it to your quilt top and use chalk to mark the quilt. Not sure if I explained it very well but this is how I was taught at my quilting class. She said the nice thing about the tulle is that it can be folded up really small and be stored in a film canister or medicine bottle.
    That actually made perfect sence to me and i'm going to give it a try. I have been wondering how to transfer a design to a quilt without using a stencil. Thank you for sharing.
    Old 05-28-2011, 08:52 PM

You can also make a copy on paper, then sew on the line with no thread in the machine (thus making a perforated line) Pounce chalk shows thru ok...These can be used over again as you are only marking with chalk
    Old 05-28-2011, 09:01 PM
    Power Poster

Man, I love all the great advice on this site. I learn so much
    Old 05-28-2011, 09:11 PM

I've traced patterns onto tissue paper and then pin it right on the quilt..sew it..tear off tissue paper..this works very well on borders!!
    Old 05-29-2011, 04:05 AM

I have found the Golden Threads paper to work really well, trace the patterns and then I use painters tape (the blue stuff) to hold the paper in place. Stitch the pattern and then just rip the paper off. Regular tissue paper works also, but can more difficult to remove.
    Old 05-29-2011, 08:53 AM

You can trace them onto golden threads quilting paper, needle punch those with your machine and an empty needle, and attach it to your quilt. Just learning FMQ, got some haven't tried it out yet but a lot of people like it. You can stack up to 15 pages at a time to be needle punched if doing a continuous line design